Litigation, Intellectual Property
Our Intellectual Property (IP) Litigation team has a deep bench of litigation experience to assist clients when the potential for IP litigation arises. Led by some of the industry’s most skilled IP litigation attorneys, our diverse team boasts decades of experience representing a wide range of companies from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
We handle disputes in federal, state and appellate courts throughout the United States and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and before arbitration forums that decide domain name disputes such as the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). We also have experience with Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA) cases.
We work in tandem with our exceptionally strong team of transactional Intellectual Property attorneys to achieve your desired result, including creatively and aggressively prosecuting and defending cases, addressing all aspects of a dispute, and dissecting complex issues for judges and juries.
We act as an extension of your business to drive long-term growth. This may include developing alternative strategies to IP litigation such as structuring novel settlements, crafting dispute resolutions and engaging in quasi-litigation and administrative proceedings. Our IP litigation capabilities include:
- Trade Secret
- Internet-related disputes
Procopio's Intellectual Property Litigation attorneys bring extensive experience to their clients. For example, they handle more litigation cases in federal courts in California than most other law firms.
Volume of California Federal Court IP Litigation, Law Firm Rankings Last 5 Years (per Lex Machina)
- Defended wireless telephone carrier in Eastern District of Virginia (“rocket docket”). Plaintiff was requesting $170M for alleged infringement of wireless modem adaptors. After a three-week jury trial, the jury rendered a verdict of non-infringement and invalidity of the patent.
- Obtained defense jury verdict and attorney fees on behalf of CPR Savers and First Aid Supplies in suit brought by Express Companies, Inc., alleging theft of trade secrets and interference with Express’ contract with Yahoo.
- Succeeded in winning a $13.44 million jury verdict for a Japan-based manufacturer of polyimide films for infringement of two patents being used in various electronics.
- Obtained patent infringement verdict of $5.5 million, plus 10% royalty for a Japan-based manufacturer of polymer fibers, against an importer and distributor of infringing products.
- Defended a Fortune 500 health care management company in a patent infringement case involving comprehensive health care management system.
- Defended a Fortune 100 insurance company against allegations of architectural works copyright infringement in an apartment complex.
- Defended an automotive wheel retailer against patent infringement claims asserted by a dominant competitor with an extensive design patent portfolio.
- Defended an Internet service provider against a leading global fashion house asserting claims of contributory copyright and trademark infringement for an unwitting provision of webhosting services to third party counterfeiters.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of golf grips in a patent infringement case against a mass-market competitor.
- Successfully defended a vacuum equipment manufacturer in complex trade secret litigation in California Southern District Court.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar judgment for the distributor of automobile after-market products after a four-week trial and appeal in a trademark, false advertising, and false patent marking case.
- Defended a software development company against trade secret allegations of violating restrictive covenants by hiring former senior executives.
- Obtained a federal judgment including permanent injunctive relief and monetary sanctions on behalf of a supplement company against television “infomercial” producers engaged in trademark and trade dress infringement and other acts of unfair competition.
"Procopio’s IP Litigation team is as good as it gets. In a patent infringement jury trial, they scored a complete victory for us – an outstanding damages award, plus a 10% royalty rate going forward. We could not have been happier with Procopio’s IP Litigation team, and how they handled the case from start-to-finish, and their level of communication with us throughout the process.”
-- Hirofumi Yamada, Senior Manager, Kaneka Corporation
DISCLAIMER: These testimonials or endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.