Procopio’s Health Care Practice Group is recognized for our service to clients across the Health Care industry, including Hospitals and Health Systems, Physician Groups and Medical Staffs, Trade Associations, Tribal and Community Clinics, Health Plans and HMOs, Individual Providers and Life Sciences Companies, and Public Agencies. We’re inspired to work hand in hand with our clients, who every day are making a real difference in people’s lives.
Our award-winning attorneys know how to navigate the challenges unique to the heavily regulated Health Care industry. They’re ready to handle all of your transactional, compliance, investigation and litigation challenges, including Corporate Planning & Regulatory Compliance, Investigations of Fraud and Abuse, Medical Staff Administration, Accreditation and Certification, Transactions, Employment, Licensing and Intellectual Property, as well as Real Estate and Construction. Many of our attorneys bring big law-firm experience to our clients while providing personal and responsive service that is sensitive to each client’s bottom line.
Regulatory Compliance and Litigation: We represent our clients in ensuring federal, state and local compliance with regulatory agencies and professional oversight organizations. Issues may include HIPAA compliance, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark Law, OIG health care audits, False Claims Act, fraud and abuse allegations, insurance disputes, governance laws, billing and payment processing, Brown Act, and conflict of interest laws.
- Prevailed in a significant case on the standard of causation for hospitals and medical groups sued by physicians disciplined for behavior and poor care under a whistleblower statute.
- Successfully represented the medical staff of a hospital in a significant matter related to quality issues of a suspended cardiologist through initial investigation, medical staff deliberations, the judicial review hearing, board appeal, Petition for Writ of Mandamus and an appeal.
- Represented a health care provider during an OIG audit regarding alleged Medicare overpayments for medically unnecessary treatments, succeeding in narrowing the scope of the audit and reducing the OIG’s recoupment.
- Represented a health care provider in complex commercial litigation focused on insurance coverage recovery for multi-million dollar third-party liabilities.
- Successfully defended a claim for retaliation and tortious interference by a medical director, securing a favorable verdict after a three-week jury trial.
- Represented a county health plan during an investigation by the California Attorney General’s Office into fraud allegations, leading to the case being closed with no finding of fraud or adverse action taken.
Real Estate and Construction: We assist health care providers and physician groups in the construction, acquisition, leasing and sale of real estate, including litigation when necessary.
- Negotiated the purchase agreement, title review, and financing documents for a hospital system in their acquisition of a premiere medical office building.
- Represented a regional hospital in their extension of a lease of a 112,000SF medical office building.
- Negotiated the sale of an 80-acre parcel owned by a major Health Care System to a large residential developer.
- Represented major hospital network in construction contract negotiation and litigation against a general contractor and an architect, resulting in the architect paying for errors and omissions committed during the project.
- Represented hospital on litigation matter in excess of $10MM involving defective windows at a multi-story hospital.
Financing/M&A: Our attorneys assist health care providers and life sciences companies with incorporation and governance issues, capitalization, and corporate purchases and sales.
- Represented majority shareholders in their sale of medical device company in a $100M sale to leading Nasdaq healthcare company.
- Represented a privately held nursing company in its $40M acquisition of a national provider of healthcare workforce solutions.
- Represented behavioral health company in its $33M sale to a leading private equity firm.
- Represented a wireless health company in raising convertible debt from angel investors.
Our healthcare attorneys provide counsel on a wide range of issues including:
- Accreditation, Licensing and Certification
- Billing and Payment
- Business and Transactional Matters
- Fraud and Abuse
- HIPAA, Privacy and Security
- Healthcare litigation
- Managed Care
- Medical Staff
- Medical Technology
- Public Agency
- Regulatory and Governmental Compliance
Business and Transactional Matters
- Facilitation work for affiliation of healthcare organizations
- General corporate issues
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate reorganizations
- Taxable and tax-exempt financing for public and private healthcare providers
- Vendor contract negotiation
- Intellectual property issues
- Tax, including nonprofit tax matters
- Antitrust analysis
- Real estate and land use matters
DISCLAIMER: Testimonials and endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.