We provide legal expertise to clients in the energy industry, such as energy producers, developers, landowners, financial partners, tribal governments, and end-users, and help them navigate a decarbonizing economy, focused on innovation, regulatory compliance and ensuring a strong bottom line in a sustainable, renewable future.
It’s a rapidly changing world for the energy industry, one focused on sustainability and decarbonization. We work with energy producers, off-takers, investors, and other partners to protect intellectual property rights for energy related innovation, and we advise and structure strategic investments and joint ventures. Clients must navigate the fast-paced transition taking place in the energy industry at the local, state, federal, and global levels. These changes call for a top-to-bottom evaluation not only of energy production, but equally or of greater importance energy transmission, grid integration, and delivery to end users. The best path to assure success in the energy industry is to remain ahead of the regulators, anticipating changes and industry trends while capitalizing on policy driven government-backed incentives.
We are continually monitoring the climate and decarbonization policies rolling out across the industry and can support your mission with comprehensive legal analysis and solutions, whether your focus is regulatory compliance or approval, securing tax incentives and grants, obtaining intellectual property protection and enforcement, managing a workforce, engaging in complex real estate transactions, or navigating environmental and land use challenges.
- Agency Rulemaking
- Air Permitting
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)/National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review of renewable projects
- Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Sequestration
- Carbon Credit Trading
- Clean Energy Transition
- Clean Technology
- Climate Adaptation
- Commercial Litigation
- Community Choice Aggregators
- Construction Litigation
- Distributed Energy Projects
- Economic Incentives
- Employment Litigation
- Energy Conservation
- Energy Partnerships
- Energy Production
- Energy Storage
- Energy Transmission
- Enforcement Actions
- ESG Reporting
- GHG Reporting
- Hydrogen Energy Projects
- Intellectual Property Prosecution and Litigation
- Intergovernmental Agreements
- Joint Ventures
- Joint Power Authorities
- Land Use Analysis
- Land Acquisition
- Land Use Entitlements
- Lease Negotiations
- Mobile Sources
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Purchase and Sale
- Real Estate, Including Litigation
- Regulatory Compliance
- Regulatory Updates
- Renewable Energy Self Generation Bill Credit Agreements
- Renewable Energy Projects
- Tribal Representation
- Oversee project siting and land acquisition, including purchase and sale and lease negotiations and documentation.
- Obtain land use entitlements, financing, and permitting, and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Perform environmental reviews of energy projects on private, state, tribal, and federal lands.
Public Policy and Agencies
- Engage actively in the rulemaking process and advocacy at administrative agencies, including CPUC, CEC, CARB, and USEPA.
- Perform regulatory assessments and strategic analysis of state and federal climate and decarbonization policies and programs.
- Secure and maximize state and federal economic incentives, including state and federal grants, ITCs, and IPCs.
- Develop energy conservation and distributed energy projects for municipalities and government agencies, including joint ventures, Joint Power Authorities, and Community Joint Aggregation programs.
- Provide bond counsel on public and private projects.
- Built a worldwide patent portfolio for a global energy manufacturer with technologies including power modules and transmission systems, power grid systems, power distribution arrangements, energy storage systems, high-voltage power converter stations, EV charging systems, EV energy management systems, and more.
- Obtained a robust worldwide patent portfolio for an AI-powered IoT cleantech smart building management provider.
Built a global patent portfolio for a developer and manufacturer of EV powertrains.
- Secured patents for a renewable electricity battery designer and manufacturer.
- Built a patent portfolio for a global energy company utilizing next-generation IoT technology and data analytics.
- Secured patents related to greenhouse gas emissions.
- Secure licensing of innovative clean energy technologies.
- Advise on corporate governance, financing and securities transactions, securities compliance, and listing standards.
- Advise on all stages of corporate growth, including initial incorporation, procuring debt and equity financing, and developing exit strategies.
- Represent tribal nations and tribe-owned businesses in energy-related ventures, including financing and construction of renewable energy projects.
Other Legal Services
- Manage project liability assessments and insurance coverage.
- Draft power purchase agreements.
- Litigate corporate, commercial, and intellectual property matters related to energy.