3000 El Camino Real | 5 Palo Alto Square Suite 400, Palo Alto, CA 94306
Mindy focuses her practice on high-stakes litigation in the areas of healthcare, trade secrets, technology and internet law. She leads Procopio’s Health Care practice as well as its Trade Secrets practice.
She represents healthcare providers throughout California in civil lawsuits and judicial review hearings. She helps clients resolve disputes involving trade secret, patent, trademark, copyright, computer fraud and other contentious issues.
Mindy also litigates cutting-edge cases at the intersection of technology and free speech issues, defending internet companies against defamation, copyright, trademark and related claims on First Amendment, Communications Decency Act (CDA) Section 230, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and US SPEECH Act grounds.
Mindy works closely with clients to resolve disputes quickly and efficiently when litigation is not in their strategic interests. When early resolution is not possible, she is a zealous and professional advocate with jury trial experience.
She also leads Procopio’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, and is proud of the firm achieving Mansfield Rule Certified Plus status two years running.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff, a cooling design company, in trade secret and breach of contract case involving data center cooling technology; confidential settlement before trial.
- Lead counsel for defendant, a health care entity, in major whistleblower case under Health & Safety Code 1278.5 ; case settled favorably on the eve of trial.
- Lead counsel for defendant, a leading online platform, in a case involving trade secret, CFAA, and ECPA claims; confidential settlement following the filing of a motion to dismiss under Section 230.
- Lead counsel for defendant, a consumer tea company, in trade secret, breach of contract and trademark case; case settled on favorable terms.
- Obtained judgment and costs defending a leading online publishing platform in a case involving Communications Decency Act, US SPEECH Act, and First Amendment issues. The case was one of the first cases involving the US SPEECH Act.
- Represent health care entity in breach of contract and fraud cases.
- Negotiated an early dismissal in a case involving alleged trademark infringement for third-level domain names.
- Served as first chair in a $10M jury trial in Santa Clara County Superior Court (DVS v. Sun, et al.), in which she obtained a nonsuit verdict. Mindy briefed and argued the successful appeal.
- Represented a group of investors in a $60M breach of contract case involving novel issues of Chinese and New York law, obtaining two motions to dismiss, a $60M writ of attachment and transfer order and a contempt order.
- Successfully moved to dismiss declaratory relief complaint in case involving patent for embryo imaging.
- Represented medical device company in patent case involving first sale doctrine.
- Represented plaintiff in patent dispute involving mobile banking technology.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, and contempt citation for violation of temporary restraining order against a former employee who started a competing company using client’s technology; confidential settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented Napster in its dispute with the recording industry.
- Defended a group of multinational companies at the district court level for patent infringement involving Intel chipsets. Quanta v. LG Electronics, 553 U.S. 617 (2008).
- Super Lawyers®, 2015 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- Woman Leader in the Law, American Lawyer magazine, 2021
- Diversity Award Winner, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2019
- Outstanding Program Award Winner, American Inns of Court, 2018-2019
- AmLaw Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Women of Influence Honoree, Silicon Valley Business Journal, 2016
- JD, Yale Law School (Editor – Yale Law Journal), 1997
- BA, University of California, Berkeley (Highest Distinction in General Scholarship, Highest Honors in Political Science, Phi Beta Kappa), 1994
- Panelist. “Exploring the Contours of What is a Trade Secret: A deep dive on confidential information vs. trade secrets, employee’s general skill and knowledge vs. an employer’s trade secrets, and their role in the enforcement of restrictive covenants,” 2022 AIPLA Trade Secret Summit, Miami, FL, December 9, 2022.
- Panelist. “Trade Secrets — It’s Heating Up,” Centerforce IP Strategy Summit West, Palo Alto, CA, October 11, 2022.
- Panelist. “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Metaverse,” Digital Economy Best Practices 2022, Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2022.
- Co-editor. “Commentary on Equitable Remedies in Trade Secret Litigation,” The Sedona Conference Working Group on Trade Secrets, March 2022.
- Author. “Why Companies Should Care About Increasing Criminal Enforcement of Trade Secret Theft,” State Bar of Michigan IPLS Proceedings, Volume 32, Issue 2, 2021.
- Co-presenter. “Trade Secrets – The Protection vs. Promotion Conundrum Explained,” July 21, 2021.
- Panelist. “Litigation Trends and Recent Cases,” Practising Law Institute’s Advanced Trade Secrets Law Program, October 13, 2021.
- Co-author. “Trade Secrets Protection: Some Common Sense and an Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure,” August 3, 2021.
- Co-author. “ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law, Trade Secrets Interferences with Contracts Committee Annual Trade Secret Law Report 2019/2020,” American Bar Association, May 2021.
- Panelist. “Global Perspectives to Maintain Your Competitive Edge Through IP,” ABA Intellectual Property Law Section Annual Meeting, April 14, 2021.
- Co-presenter. Webinar. “Recent Developments in Trade Secrets: What In-House Counsel Need to Know,” February 18, 2021. Recording and PowerPoint.
- Speaker. “RBG & me,” The Club SV event, October 29, 2020.
- Co-editor (with Tyler Paetkau). “California Federal Civil Rules, Northern District of California Civil Local Rules,” LexisNexis 2020 edition and update, October 2020.
- Moderator. “Federal Sentencing and the Presentence Investigation Report.” Santa Clara County Bar Association event, September 24, 2020.
- Co-presenter. “Part One: Navigating Anticipated CCPA Enforcement & Mitigating Litigation,” July 21, 2020.
- Co-presenter. “Contract Drafting Tips From the Litigator’s Perspective: Avoiding Lawsuits in the Post COVID-19 World,” May 27, 2020
- Co-presenter. “Trade Secrets and Cybersecurity in the COVID-19 World: Tips and Trends,” May 20, 2020.
- Co-presenter. “Avoiding Litigation While Resolving Disputes: Commercial Contract Challenges During COVID-19,” May 5, 2020.
- Co-author. “Avoiding Litigation While Resolving Disputes: Commercial Contract Challenges During COVID-19,” April 27, 2020.
- Co-presenter. “Trade Secret Tips and Trends,” March 5, 2020.
- Co-author. “Cybersecurity, Sports Betting, Hemp, and Child Welfare: 2020 Indian Law Updates,” January 6, 2020.
- Author. “The Rise of Criminal Enforcement for Trade Secret Theft,” Law360, September 6, 2019.
- Author. “Why Companies Should Care About Increasing Criminal Enforcement of Trade Secret Theft,” September 4, 2019.
- Speaker. “Tips and Trends in Trade Secrets Law: DTS Act,” SCCBA Federal Courts Committee – MCLE Seminar, San Jose, June 27, 2019.
- Panelist. “Become Cyber-Trained In-House Counsel, Part Three,” Procopio seminar with ACC San Diego, May 21, 2019
- Moderator. “Work Life Balance at Different Stages of Your Career,” IP Counsel Café, Palo Alto, CA, May 8, 2019.
- Panelist. “Become Cyber-Trained In-House Counsel, Part Two,” Procopio seminar with ACC San Diego, April 16, 2019.
- Co-author. “Practical Issues of the Defend Trade Secrets Act: Lessons from Waymo v. Uber and Impact of the DTSA on Corporate Practice,” Intellectual Property Law and Policy Journal (Hokkaido University School of Law), April 2019. (Article in Japanese)
- Presenter. “Defend Trade Secrets Act,” Intellectual Property Owners Association, February 20, 2019.
- Presenter. “The Defend Trade Secrets Act,” Intellectual Property Owners, Software-Related Inventions Committee, February 20, 2019.
- Co-presenter. “Exploring the Stages of a Trade Secrets Case Through Hypotheticals,” Association of Corporate Counsel, September 12, 2018.
- Co-presenter. “Trade Secrets – An Emerging Force in Intellectual Property,” West LegalEd Center, September 11, 2018.
- Author. “5 Steps to Keeping Your Trade Secrets Secret.” February 7, 2018.
- Author. “Technology-Assisted Review: an Effective Way to Tackle the Mountains of Electronic Data,” ABTL Report, April 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Ethical Considerations in Intellectual Property Litigation: An Interactive Dialogue and Case Study,” Menlo Park, CA, May 7, 2014.
- Co-author. “Technology-Assisted Review: The Judicial Pioneers,” The Sedona Conference Journal® Volume 15, December 2014.
- Co-author. “Dealing With IP Theft By Employees,” The Recorder, September 12, 2012.
- Author. “Don’t Let Confidential Information Walk Out the Door,” The Bottom Line, Vol. 30, No. 5.
- Author. “Drafting and Challenging Section 2019.210 Statements in Trade Secret Litigation,” Northern California Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Vol. 15, No. 2.
- Contributing author. “Copyright, Trademark and Trade Dress Litigation Model Jury Instructions,” ABA Section of Litigation.
- Co-Chair, ABA Trade Secrets Committee, Intellectual Property Section, 2021-present
- Sedona Conference Working Group 12 on Trade Secrets
- Steering Committee Member, 2021 – present
- Brainstorming Group Co-Leader, 2021 – present
- Contributing Editor, 2018 – present
- Board Member, Audit and Security Chair, Santa Clara Vanguard, 2021 – present
- Co-Chair, Next Gen Mock Pitch Committee, ChIPs, 2015 – present
- Founder, Women Helping Women Network, 2019 – present
- Mentor and Group Leader, HiPower, 2019 – present
- SF Bay Area Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Master of the Bench and June Pupillage Group Leader, 2015 – present
- UC Berkeley, Women in Leadership, Co-Chair of Equity and Inclusion Committee, 2020 – present
- Co-Director, Lyric Theatre Victorian Carolers, 2014 – present
- UC Berkeley Class of 1994 Reunion Committee, Chair of 25th Reunion
- The CLUB, former Vice President of Operations and Board Member
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2012 President
- Schola Cantorum, past Chair of the Board of Directors
- Cueto, Emma. “What’s Working for Mid-Law in Effort to Improve Diversity,” Law360, July 26, 2022.
- Posses, Shayna. “Emerson Can’t Review Facebook Deal In Trade Secrets Row,” Law 360, November 26, 2018.
- “On the Move,” The Recorder, June 14, 2013.