525 B Street, Suite 2200, San Diego, CA 92101
John serves clients through domestic business and tax planning. He assists in the development of business transactions including general matters; financing structures; mergers and acquisitions (including matters related to the development of real estate); and strategic joint ventures with significant experience working in the healthcare field. John also has extensive experience planning tax-free reorganizations, advising on the choice of entity, and on the effectiveness of S corporation elections. He previously was a licensed stock broker at a financial firm in Point Loma.
- Represented a multi-state, multi-national private company in more than 40 transactions to consolidate professional companies in the medical space.
- Represented various Southern California-based companies in their sale to private equity funds or strategic buyers in taxable and tax-free transactions.
- Represented various private real estate developers in acquiring, joint venturing, and developing or redeveloping large-scale residential and hospitality properties.
- Advised on and obtained IRS relief for dozens of invalid S elections.
- Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch, Tax Law, 2022
- Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, Tax Law, 2021-2022
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law
- LLM, (Taxation), University of San Diego School of Law
- BA, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Author. “Request for Guidance Regarding Relevancy Requirement of Check-the-Box Regulations;” California Tax Lawyer, Vol 27, No. 2; August 2018
- Author. “Request for Guidance Regarding Making Proper S Corporation Consents on Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation;” California Lawyer’s Association Taxation Section; May 2019.
- Vice-Chair, International Tax subcommittee of the California Lawyers Association
- Adjunct Professor of Business Law, Fermanian School of Business, Point Loma Nazarene University (Former)
- Licensed foster and adoptive family