US Patent & Trademark Office
525 B Street, Suite 2200, San Diego, CA 92101
Steve helps clients in a wide range of industries obtain patent protection. He has secured hundreds of patents for clients inmechanical, electrical, computer and biotechnology areas including toys, medical devices and implants, biotechnology instruments, consumer electronics, exercise equipment, fuel cells, photovoltaic systems, recycling separators, electric and hybrid-electric drive systems, wireless communications, telematics, biometrics, video and audio streaming, musical instruments, children’s products, sequencing equipment, detection systems and manufacturing systems and methods. He is the inventor on twenty patents.
Steve also has extensive experience with US and foreign trademark prosecution and with inter partes review, ex parte reexamination, copyright prosecution, intellectual property due diligence, licensing and the preparation of intellectual property legal opinions. He has worked with companies from the Far East, especially Japan, China and Hong Kong, in protecting their intellectual property in the United States.
- Obtained hundreds of patents and registered trademarks for clients in a wide variety of industries, especially in the areas of toys, medical devices, exercise equipment and clean technology.
- Prepared and prosecuted numerous US patent applications for Yamaha Hatsudoki Kabushiki Kaisha of Shizuoka, Japan and other clients based in Asia.
- Prosecuted and obtained the “Worm Light” toy patent related to the then number one selling video game accessory in the world.
- Represented Boston Scientific in intellectual property due diligence of Cardiac Pathways for Boston Scientific acquisition of Cardiac Pathways.
- Reacquired numerous stolen domain names for clients.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous income-generating licenses for clients in the medical device and music industries.
“The advice we got from several national and international patent lawyers cannot compare to what I got from Stephen. Within minutes all my concerns were solved. Things got done fast and he enabled us to get grants and investment through his flawless services. Thank you.” – Diego Gonzalez Joven, entrepreneur/inventor of ultrasonic thermal nasal decongestant
“Idea to USPTO patent in 4 months. As amazing as it sounds, that is what Stephen was able to accomplish for me with my intellectual property. I am still grateful!” – Howard Koseff, ErgoChair Inventor
“As a San Diego-grown company, we appreciate Stephen Beuerle’s dedication to our business and his efforts to help us protect our products. Procopio is known for its commitment to the community, and Stephen is a shining example of their attorneys walking the talk. We look forward to a continuing partnership and a bright future for outdoor sports in San Diego.” – Bryan Pate, CEO, Elliptigo
“I’ve worked with Procopio for over 15 years, and Stephen has always impressed me with his attention to detail and his passion for helping Total Gym succeed. He is responsive and personable, and goes above and beyond to look out for our best interests. With the magnitude of IP Trade Marks and Patents it is great to have an expert like Stephen on our team. I highly recommend him and Procopio for patent counsel.” – Tom Campanaro, CEO, Total Gym Global Corp.
“What Procopio has brought to Mitek is peace of mind. As an innovator in online transaction technology, we can focus on what matters most to us – creating cutting edge products that offer convenience and security to our customers – while knowing that the Procopio team and Stephen Beuerle are managing our trademarks and patents and safeguarding the company’s assets. We have complete confidence in them and their vast experience in helping technology companies stay on track for success.” – Jim DeBello, CEO, Mitek Systems
“After years working on a shoe invention, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to patent it due to budget constraints. Then Procopio and Stephen Beuerle took me into their pro bono program, and I felt beyond lucky. Stephen was supportive through every step of the patent process, and secured the best possible patent results.” – Alanna Fusaro, VICE VERSA heels inventor
DISCLAIMER: These testimonials or endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.
- Best Lawyers®, Patent Law, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- Top Lawyers, San Diego Magazine, 2015-present
- Inventor Mentor Standout Award, 2020
- Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, AmLaw, 2016
- JD, The John Marshall Law School (Intellectual Property Law Society President), 1995
- BS (Mechanical Engineering), University of Michigan, magna cum laude, 1992
- Author. “Obtaining a Patent at Lightning Speed, in as Little as Three Months,” January 28, 2021.
- Co-author. “Obtenga de manera rápida patentes relacionadas con el COVID-19 . . . ¡Sin costo adicional!,” August 5, 2020.
- Co-author. “Obtain COVID-19-Related Patents Fast… At No Additional Cost!,” May 11, 2020.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County, Volunteer
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Senior Community Centers, Serving Seniors Program Volunteer
- The San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association