David C. Boatwright
Services & Specializations
525 B Street, Suite 2200, San Diego, CA 92101
David focuses on mergers, acquisitions and corporate recapitalizations and restructurings, strategic joint ventures, and real estate acquisition, development, finance, exchange and sale. He has extensive experience with business combination and strategic joint venture transactions ranging in value from a few million dollars to well over one billion dollars.
- Represented two different real-estate development and investment companies in packaging and selling their operating platforms, one to a private-equity fund and the other to a substantial publicly traded company.
- Represented a number of local companies that were acquired by publicly traded companies in taxable and tax-free reorganizations.
- Represented numerous companies on in-bound and out-bound cross-border transactions.
- Represented companies in different spaces that were acquired by private equity funds or by strategic buyers in the same or a complementary space.
- Represented a local publicly traded technology company in acquiring other technology companies in the same space, in both taxable transactions and tax-free reorganizations.
- Represented a publicly traded company in acquiring companies in the eye apparel space, in both taxable transactions and tax-free reorganizations.
- Represented a multi-state, multi-national private company in consolidating numerous professional companies in the medical space.
- Represented private equity funds in acquiring and selling portfolio companies in different spaces.
Strategic Joint-Venture Transactions
- Represented numerous qualified pension plans, companies, and joint ventures in acquiring and redeveloping high-rise office towers in San Diego.
- Represented the owner of a large resort property to recapitalize the venture and reposition the property in partnership with a national resort owner/operator and East Coast-based private equity fund.
- Represented a privately held company in acquiring, joint venturing and developing or redeveloping numerous high-end hospitality properties.
- Represented a partnership in acquiring and consolidating operating companies in the education space.
- Represented the owner of 1,800 acres of local land, which was contributed to a partnership with a publicly traded home builder for development of a mixed-use residential community.
- Represented the owner of land around San Diego’s Petco Park that contributed the land into different ventures with different partners for development and operation of hotels and condominiums (including the first joint hotel/condo project in San Diego and one of the first in the country).
- Represented a publicly traded company that contributed land into a joint venture for development and operation of the largest truck stop in America.
- Best Lawyers®, Tax Law, 2005-present
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- Top Lawyers, San Diego Magazine, 2013-present
- Super Lawyers®, Real Estate, 2007-2012; Tax, 2013-2019
- Coronado Rotary Service Above Self Award for Work With Monarch School
- JD, Pepperdine University School of Law (Salutatorian; Pepperdine Law Review Member), 1981
- BS (Accounting), Northern Arizona University, 1978
- Co-presenter. “Advanced Tax Strategies for Business Owners,” a Bernstein event, October 21, 2020.
- Co-author. “Post U.S. Tax Reform, What Corporate Structure Is Right for You?” March 8, 2018.
- Speaker. “U.S. Tax Reform: What’s Ahead for Biotech Startups,” San Diego, Ca, February 23, 2018.
- Co-author. “Tax Strategies for Selling Your Company,” revised November 2017.
- Moderator. “Case Study – Structuring M&A Deals in Latin America,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 21, 2016.
- Co-Author. “Tax Strategies for Selling Your Company,” June 9, 2015.
- Speaker. “Business Combinations in the Clean Tech Space,” State of the Cleantech Industry Showcase, CleanTECH San Diego, San Diego, CA, June 25, 2013.
- Monarch School Project, Advisory Committee Member (Past Chair of the Board of Directors)
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Emeritus Member of the Board of Visitors
- Dan Heching, Gina Kim and Melanie Brisbon. “Exactech acquires XpandOrtho, with help from Procopio,” San Diego Daily Transcript, March 19, 2019.
- “Exact Sciences Buy Biomatrica with Help from Procopio, Reed Smith,” San Diego Daily Transcript, October 30, 2018.
- Pierce, Emmet. “Smooth Selling,” San Diego Business Journal, March 10, 2014.