525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Steve Beuerle has over twenty years experience assisting small businesses and entrepreneurs in their patent needs. He has been recognized as “Best of the Best!” by American Registry (2016), in “Top Lawyers” by San Diego Magazine (2015-2016) and he holds an “AV Preeminent Rating” by Martindale-Hubbell®. Headquartered in downtown San Diego, Steve is also available to meet at offices in Del Mar Heights, Sorrento Valley*, UTC*, downtown La Jolla*, Solana Beach*, Carlsbad*, and Scripps Ranch*. Steve’s experience is unique among patent attorneys in that he has experience bringing his own products from concept to manufacture and to retail, and is the inventor on twenty patents. Steve and his patent colleagues at Procopio have diverse technical backgrounds and experience, enabling them to handle patent work in all technology areas. Steve also obtained hundreds of patents in a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, computer and biotechnology areas including toys, medical devices and implants, biotechnology instruments, consumer electronics, exercise equipment, fuel cells, photovoltaic systems, recycling separators, electric and hybrid-electric drive systems, wireless communications, telematics, biometrics, video and audio streaming, musical instruments, children’s products, sequencing equipment, detection systems and manufacturing systems and methods. He also has extensive experience with US and foreign trademark prosecution and with inter partes review, ex parte reexamination, copyright prosecution, intellectual property due diligence, licensing and the preparation of intellectual property legal opinions. He has worked with companies from the Far East, especially Japan, China and Hong Kong, in protecting their intellectual property in the United States.
*offices available for use by attorneys and clients by appointment
- Obtained hundreds of patents and registered trademarks for clients in a wide variety of industries, especially in the areas of toys, medical devices, exercise equipment and clean technology.
- Prepared and prosecuted numerous US patent applications for Yamaha Hatsudoki Kabushiki Kaisha of Shizuoka, Japan and other clients based in Asia.
- Prosecuted and obtained the “Worm Light” toy patent related to the then number one selling video game accessory in the world.
- Represented Boston Scientific in intellectual property due diligence of Cardiac Pathways for Boston Scientific acquisition of Cardiac Pathways.
- Reacquired numerous stolen domain names for clients.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous income-generating licenses for clients in the medical device and music industries.
“As a San Diego-grown company, we appreciate Stephen Beuerle’s dedication to our business and his efforts to help us protect our products. Procopio is known for its commitment to the community, and Stephen is a shining example of their attorneys walking the talk. We look forward to a continuing partnership and a bright future for outdoor sports in San Diego.” - Bryan Pate, CEO, Elliptigo
“I’ve worked with Procopio for over 15 years, and Stephen has always impressed me with his attention to detail and his passion for helping Total Gym succeed. He is responsive and personable, and goes above and beyond to look out for our best interests. With the magnitude of IP Trade Marks and Patents it is great to have an expert like Stephen on our team. I highly recommend him and Procopio for patent counsel.” -Tom Campanaro, CEO, Total Gym Global Corp.
“What Procopio has brought to Mitek is peace of mind. As an innovator in online transaction technology, we can focus on what matters most to us – creating cutting edge products that offer convenience and security to our customers – while knowing that the Procopio team and Stephen Beuerle are managing our trademarks and patents and safeguarding the company’s assets. We have complete confidence in them and their vast experience in helping technology companies stay on track for success.” - Jim DeBello, CEO, Mitek Systems
- 2020 Inventor Mentor Standout Award
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- AmLaw Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating, 2018-2019
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2015-present
- "Best of the Best! America's Most Honored Professionals," American Registry, 2016
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County – Volunteer
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Senior Community Centers – Serving Seniors Program Volunteer
- The San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- JD, The John Marshall Law School, 1995 (Intellectual Property Law Society President)
- BS (Mechanical Engineering), University of Michigan, magna cum laude, 1992
- Co-author. "Obtenga de manera rápida patentes relacionadas con el COVID-19 . . . ¡Sin costo adicional!," August 5, 2020.
- Co-author. "Obtain COVID-19-Related Patents Fast... At No Additional Cost!," May 11, 2020.