525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Robert (Bob) Ramos has over 20 years of combined Life Sciences IP experience in both private practice and the biotechnology industry related to worldwide patent and trademark acquisition and strategic counseling. Bob has assisted venture-backed startups, mid-sized companies, basic research Institutes, as well as large biopharmaceutical companies in need of extensive portfolio management in the biotechnology arts, including molecular biology, antibodies/peptibodies, protein therapeutics, cancer therapies, gene therapy, cellular immunotherapy, and nucleic acids; as well as next generation sequencing and modern genomics, including microfluidics, microarrays, bioinformatic and pharmacogenomic analysis for personalized medicine and companion diagnostics.
Bob has extensive Biopharma industry experience where he participated in hundreds of detailed global patent strategy decisions for high value IP assets. His practice includes preparing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications, patent landscape analysis, opinion work, including patentability, non-infringement, invalidity and freedom-to-operate opinions. His practice also includes due diligence analysis in connection with venture capital, public and private financing, mergers & acquisitions; as well as litigation support, post-Grant Oppositions, and worldwide Trademark procurement and enforcement strategy. As part of an extensive patent strategy, Bob co-managed the expedited generation of a lead recombinant protein and its accelerated pre-clinical development to acceptance for First-In-Human clinical trials.
He conducted his graduate work in biology at UCSD, with an emphasis on molecular genetics, where he constructed genetically engineered viruses for potential use in gene therapy. Prior to joining the firm, Bob practiced at Amgen for over 10 years, where he was the lead IP Attorney for 2 commercial and 2 Phase I biologics. Bob also managed the worldwide procurement and enforcement strategy for a trademark portfolio comprising hundreds of registered trademarks protecting numerous pharmaceutical products.
Bob’s experience in molecular biology, law and business is a unique combination among lawyers, and he has a keen understanding of the unique IP legal and business challenges currently faced by many biotechnology companies.
- Board of Directors, Biocom, 2019-to present
- State Bar of California
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Diego Venture Group
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law
- MS, (Biology/Molecular Genetics) University of California, San Diego
- BS, (Molecular Biology) University of California, San Diego
- Jared Whitlock. “Biocom Adds 3 Board Members,” San Diego Business Journal, August 26, 2019.
- “Biocom Appoints Additional Members to Board of Directors from Bayer, KPMG and Procopio,” Biocom, August 26, 2019.”
- Bradley Fikes. “ Life Technologies Wins U.S. Supreme Court Patent Case,” (C1, continued on C4) The San Diego Union-Tribune. February 23, 2017.
- Randy Frisch. "Attorney Brings Life Science Expertise to New Role at Procopio," San Diego Business Journal, August 1, 2016
- Presenter. “Managing 3rd Party IP and Freedom-To-Operate in Drug Development,” The 17th Annual San Diego BioPharma Conference, San Diego, Ca, June 9, 2018.
- Co-presenter. “The 21st SABPA Entrepreneur Symposium — Licensing of IP & Tech Transfer in Biotech Arena,” San Diego, Ca, April 12, 2018.
- Moderator. “Biosimilars IP Litigation: Where We've Been and Where We're Heading,” BIO International Convention, San Diego, CA, June 21, 2017.
- Panelist - "Don't Fear the Walking Dead: Patent Eligibility Survival Strategies for Biotech and Life Sciences Patents," Licensing Executives Society, Inc. - Silicon Valley Chapter, October 19, 2016.
- Panelist - “WHERE TO FILE: A Framework For Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies To Develop An International Patent Filing Strategy,” Thomas Jefferson School of Law International Symposium, San Diego, April 2014.
- “Millennium Case May Strengthen IP Portfolios of Pharma Companies,” July 21, 2017.