Michele is the leader of Procopio’s Family Law group and focuses her practice exclusively on family law. Since 2002, Michele has been a Certified Family Law Specialist, certified by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. She is also admitted to practice before the US District Court, Southern District of California. Michele handles dissolution of marriage, legal separation and annulment actions, paternity, custody, move-away/relocation cases, grandparent visitation rights, post judgment support, set aside and enforcement matters, the preparation or review of pre-marital and post-marital agreements and domestic violence restraining order cases. Michele represents her clients in simple dissolutions with the same vigor she represents clients in complex matters, which matters may involve business valuations, income analysis, tracing, division of property and custody evaluations. Michele also acts as a neutral mediator, as well as represents clients in mediation.
Michele is extensively involved in drafting and reviewing family law legislation in California and frequently testifies before the Senate and Assembly Judiciary Committees on family law. She has written numerous articles on family law and has presented state-wide on family law issues. Michele was a member of the inaugural Board of Representatives for the California Lawyers Association and assisted in the formation of the CLA as the Sections separated from the State Bar of California, creating the largest bar association in the state.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018-Present (Family Law)
- Winner, Michael C. Shea Teacher-Mentor Award, San Diego Family Law Bar Association, 2019
- Outstanding Service to Family Law, California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section, 2019
- "Top Lawyers," San Diego Magazine, 2016-present
- "Legend in Legislation," State Bar of California, Family Law Section, 2016
- "Best of the Bar," San Diego Business Journal, 2015-2016
- San Diego Super Lawyers®, 2014-2021 (Family Law)
- “Super Lawyers/Southern California 2014: The Top Women,” Los Angeles Magazine, September 2014
- San Diego Metro Top Family Law Attorneys in San Diego County, 2011-2012
- Our City, San Diego, Top Family Law Attorneys, 2009-2010
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), California Chapter – Immediate Past President (2020-2022); President (2018-2020); President Elect (2016-2018); Vice-President (2015); Secretary (2014-2015); Board of Directors (2010-present): legislation, website, Insights newsletter and conference committees
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – National Chapter – Member (2010-present)
- California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section: Member of the Board of Representatives, Family Law (2018-2021); Co-Chair, Governmental Affairs for the CLA (2018-2020); Nominations/Elections Committee (2019)
- State Bar of California: Council of Sections, Board of Directors Representative, Family Law (2017); Member of the Board and Committee to transition the separation of the Sections from the State Bar to the CA Lawyers Association: Transition Committees: SB 36, committee member; Chair, Sections Governmental Affairs Legislation Committee; Association Governmental Affairs Committee, member; Co-Chair, creation of the Governmental Affairs bylaws
- California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section, Advisor, Family Law Representative to the CLA (2018-2021); Legislation Oversight and Family Law Representative (2018-2020)
- State Bar of California, Family Law Section – Advisor, Affirmative Legislation/Developing Legislation; (2010-2017); Executive Committee (2010-2013); Affirmative Legislation Chair (2007-2010), Liaison to San Diego Regional Standing Committee (2007-present), All Sections State Bar Task Force (2016), Elkins Task Force Working Group (2009-2010);Co- Chair, San Diego Regional Standing Committee (2008-2009); Member (1995-present)
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists – Board of Directors: President, (2019-2021); Director of Legislation (2016-2018), Vice-Chair, Legislative Advisory Committee (2014-2016), Legislative Advisory Committee (2011-present); Spring Seminar Conference Committee (2016-2020)
- Legislation Stakeholder Working Groups, S San Diego Regional Standing Committee Co-Chair (2006-2007), testifies before the State Legislature on Family Law bills (2007-present)
- Judge Pro Tem, San Diego County Superior Court, Family Law Settlement Judge (2003-2015)
- Judge Pro Tem, Small Claims Court, San Diego County (2010-2105)
- ADR/Mediation Panel for Family Law, San Diego County Certified Family Law Specialists (2009-2015)
- Legislative Involvement, Stakeholder Working Groups – SB 435 (Sanchez) SB 1255, Marriage of Davis Legislation; AB 1843, Electronic Reporting in Family law; AB 2344, AB 1843, AB 2089, SB 115, AB 458, SB 1255 (2013-2016). Contributed to drafting and enacting family law bills: AB 414, AB 161, AB 522, SB 1482, AB 1679, AB 2767, AB 459 (2007-present)
- Court Funding Action Committee, San Diego County Bar Association (2014-2015)
- San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Certified Family Law Specialists – Executive Committee (2007-2010), Chair, Legislation (2007-2013), Chair, Local Rules Committee (2011-2013)
- Member, Elkins Working Group (2009-2010), San Diego Family Law Action Committee (2009-2010), Publicity Committee (2005-2006), Conference of Delegates, Family Law Floor Leader (2005-2006)
- San Diego County Bar Association – Member (2000-present)
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association – Member (2013-present)
- North Park Toyland Parade – Board Member (2005-2012), Toys for Tots collaboration (2012), Politicians and Dignitaries (2005-2012), Fundraising (2006-2010)
- North Park Community Association – Vice-President (2009-2010); Secretary; Board Member Concert Committee, Renaissance Awards (2005-2011), Member (2004-present)
- North Park Parking Management Working Group (2010-2011)
- United Way – Women’s Leadership Council (2017-2019)
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 1994
- BA (Political Science and Spanish), University of California, Riverside, 1989
- Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 1988
- Real Talk San Diego, December 22, 2016
- Panelist. “COVID and the Impact on the Court,” Joint Session of the California State Senate and Assembly Judiciary Committees, February 23, 2021.
- Co-Presenter. “Navigating Sanchez in the Wild West: Diverse approaches and Applications in the California Family Courts,” AFCC-CA Conference, San Francisco, CA, February 2020.
- Co-Presenter: “TRIAL TECH: Hands-On Training for Family Law Attorneys Trial on Property Issues – Instruction, Demonstration and Practice Orange County Module Two – “Direct Examination,” Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Orange County, CA, March 17, 2018.
- Co-presenter, “Spousal Support and Domestic Violence,” ACFLS 26th Annual Spring Seminar, Rancho Mirage, March 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Beyond 4320: Interplay Between Spousal Support and Domestic Violence," ACFLS 24th Annual Spring Seminar, Rancho Mirage, CA, April 2, 2016.
- Presenter. "Community Property Presumptions and Transmutation Agreements," State Bar of California, Family Law Section, July 30, 2015.
- "Covering New Ground In Real Estate & Tracing," SDFLBA, San Diego, CA, March 4, 2015.
- “Family Law Discovery,” North County Certified Law Specialists, Vista, CA, October 16, 2014.
- Co-presenter. “Using Your Mental Health Expert Without Crossing the Line,” co-presenter, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Bay Area Chapter, Oakland, CA, April 2014.
- Co-presenter. “Use and Abuse of Experts: Use of Psychological Experts,” San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section, San Diego, CA, Fall 2013.
- Panelist. “Recent Developments in Family Law: Cases and Statutes,” San Diego Certified Family Law Specialists, San Diego, CA, Winter 2013.
- Co-presenter. “What’s New in 2012? Changes to Family and Juvenile Rules of Court,” San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Webinar, April 2012.
- Panelist. “Domestic Violence Institute and Mock Trial,” AFCC-CA Annual Conference, February 2012.
- Letter to California state leadership on behalf of the California Lawyers Association Family Law Section, "Re: Covid-19 - Request for Guidance and Emergency Relief in Family Law Matters," March 31, 2020.
- AFCC President’s Message, AFCC-CA Insights, Winter 2020
- AFCC President’s Message, AFCC-CA Insights, Summer 2019.
- AFCC President’s Message, AFCC-CA Newsletter 2018.
- "State Bar of California's 2015 Judicial Officer of the Year Award Bestowed Upon Honorable Maureen F. Hallahan," Family Law News, The State Bar of California, 2015.
- “AB 2586: Shocking family law faux pas fixed in a flash,” Daily Journal, January 21, 2015.
- "ACFLS's Anti-Boblistt Legislation is Signed into Law," ACFLS Family Law Specialist, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists.
- “Flexcom Sponsored AB 414 Reenacts Section 4326 As Urgency Legislation: And Fixes the Gap so No One Falls Between the Cracks,” Family Law News, The State Bar of California, August 25, 2014.
- Co-author. “Is There a Right to a Record?” Family Law News, The State Bar of California, 2012.