525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Frederick K. Taylor is a Co-Leader of Procopio’s Privacy and Cybersecurity practice group.Fred represents clients in a wide variety of industries including high technology, Internet and electronic commerce, financial institutions, chemical companies, public entities and Native American tribes. Fred’s practice focuses on litigation in the areas of intellectual property, financial institutions, complex commercial disputes, environment enforcement defense and Native American issues. He has served as First Chair in multiple jury trials, bench trials, arbitrations, mediations and appellate matters. Fred is licensed to practice in all California Courts, the Ninth, Eleventh and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal, and multiple Federal District Courts including Texas, Florida and Illinois.
- 2012-2018, represented major telecommunications company in defense of government investigation allegation of improper management of consumer protected/private information and hazardous and universal waste.
- January 2012, obtained $1.2M settlement for Federal banking regulator from former officers and directors of failed bank.
- July 2013, obtained patent infringement verdict and judgment of $5.85M, plus 10% royalty on behalf of manufacturer of polymer fibers, against importer and distributor of infringing products. After a two week jury trial in the Northern District of Texas, the jury returned a verdict finding the patents infringed and valid and rejecting defendants’ claims of unenforceability.
- May and August 2011, obtained $1.73M in jury verdicts in two separate trials for small business owners who were exposed to pathogens in recycled water after defendants misconnected an irrigation line to potable water line.
- October 2009, represented floor cleaning equipment manufacturer in defense of two week patent jury trial in Southern District of California. Patent claims currently rejected by USPTO following reexamination.
- October 2008, obtained substantial confidential settlement on behalf of patent owner for its technology related to parking lot security.
- July 2010, obtained a ruling from Federal Court of Appeal affirming summary judgment dismissing trademark claims against our client. The court affirmed our client’s use of its registered trademark and dismissed plaintiff’s cancellation and infringement claims.
- 2004-2006, obtained multiple judgments of infringement against retailers who were violating the trademarks of major flower distribution network.
- 2005, represented commercial vacuum manufacturer accused of patent infringement. Obtained evidence of invalidating prior sale of patented article, resulting in successful counterclaim of patent misuse. Client obtained attorneys’ fees and dismissal of patent suit in settlement.
- 2004, represented major athletic shoe manufacturer in obtaining seizure order and temporary restraining order concerning knock-off tennis shoes that were in violation of client’s trademark and trade dress rights.
- 2004, represented software development company in action against the Federal Trade Commission regarding claims unfair and deceptive practices; defeated FTC’s motion for preliminary injunction and obtained favorable settlement with no payment of fine.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- San Diego Magazine Top Lawyer, 2019 (Asia-Pacific Cross-Border)
- AmLaw Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- "Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2014-Present
- Southern California’s Top Rated Lawyers – 2014-2015
- State Bar of California’s Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services – 2005
- San Diego County Bar Association – Intellectual Property Law Section, Chair
- Meritas Black Lawyers Forum -- Leadership Council
- The Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association – Board of Directors
- The State Bar of California – Law Practice Management and Technology Section Treasurer, Executive Committee
- Vista Hill – Executive Board
- California Association of Black Lawyers – Parliamentarian
- JD, Golden Gate University, 1991
- BA, University at Buffalo, with honors, 1988
- Cullen, Anne. “Antitrust Deal ‘Breaches’ Must Be Arbitrated: Realtor Group,” Law360, January 23, 2019.
- Eslinger, Bonnie. "Kaneka Corp. Wins $13.4M In Polyimide Film Patent Dispute," Law 360, November 19, 2015
- Reynolds, Kylle. “On the Move,” Daily Journal, February 24, 2014.
- “Daily Business Report,” San Diego Metro Magazine, February 19, 2014.
- Co-Presenter: "How To Work With Outside Counsel To Keep IP Litigation Budgets In Check," Webinar, November 23, 2020. Video recording and PowerPoint.
- Co-Presenter. "Comparative Analysis Of Data Sharing & Contracts," Future Series 2020 Virtual Conference, September 30, 2020.
- Co-Presenter. "Part 2: What The Future Holds With The Passage of CCPA," August 18, 2020.
- "Webinar: The Cybersecurity Deficiencies that Create Liability: What You Must Know and Should Do", Presented by Frederick K. Taylor and Cybersecurity Expert Sai Huda, July 8, 2020. Video recording and PowerPoint.
- Co-Presenter. “What You Need to Know About Cybersecurity Laws and Data Protection” Meritas Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, April 4, 2019.
- Co-author. “Steps To Take With Outside Counsel to Keep IP Litigation Budgets in Check,” LA Daily Journal, February 3, 2021.
- Author. "Six Key Things To Know About The Recently Passed Prop 24 (CPRA)," November 5, 2020.
- Author. "Tips for Preventing and Addressing Ransomware Attacks at Your Government or Casino," Blogging Circle, July 6, 2020.
- Author. "The Challenge Under CCPA of Verifying the Identities of Consumers Making Personal Data Requests," November 5, 2019.