525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Admissions: California ; New York ; New Jersey ; U.S. District Court Southern, Central and Eastern District of California ; U.S. District Court Southern and Eastern District of New York ; U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
Elaine F. Harwell is a business litigation attorney and a trained privacy professional. Her practice is focused on representing clients in cybersecurity and data privacy matters, including litigating claims involving privacy issues, helping clients manage emerging risks and conduct privacy risk assessments, and advising on regulatory issues. Elaine has also been involved in numerous trials as well as arbitration proceedings related to contract and general business disputes, complex unfair competition and business practice claims, and professional liability. She has earned the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Elaine is also a frequent speaker and writer on legal issues surrounding privacy and data governance.
- San Diego County Bar Association’s Service Members Civil Relief Act Pro Bono Panel Program, assisting active duty military personnel
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers – San Diego
- JD, Seton Hall University School of Law, 2004
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 2000
- Panelist. "Become Cyber-Trained In-House Counsel, Part Three," Procopio seminar with ACC San Diego, May 21, 2019
- Moderator. "Become Cyber-Trained In-House Counsel, Part Two," Procopio seminar with ACC San Diego, April 16, 2019.
- Panelist. "Become Cyber-Trained In-House Counsel, Part One," Procopio seminar with ACC San Diego, March 26, 2019.
- Speaker. "The California Consumer Privacy Act: What You Need to Know Now, ACC San Diego, March 14, 2019.
- Speaker. "GDPR & CCPA Workshop." San Diego Regional Economic Development Council, February 26, 2019.
- Panelist. "Private Eyes are Watching You: The Lawyer's Role in Cyber Security and Data Privacy," Public Interest Law Foundation, Thomas Jefferson Law School, September 7, 2018.
- Moderator. "An Update on Cyber Insurance: Emerging Insurance Coverage & Allocation Issues," Perrin Conference, Philadelphia, April 11, 2018.
- Panelist. "Cyber Security Panel Discussion," inewsource, April 3, 2018.
- Speaker. "Privacy Litigation Update," DRI Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Conference," Chicago, September 7, 2017.
- Panelist. "Nightmares on Cyber Street: Recent Developments in Data Privacy Litigation and Cyber Insurance Coverage," San Diego County Bar Association, October 17, 2016.
- "What Will the California Consumer Privacy Act Actually Bring in 2020?,” May 23, 2019.
- "Expanded Private Right of Action Proposed for California Consumer Privacy Act,” February 27, 2019.
- "No Signs of Slowing Down: Privacy Litigation Update," For the Defense (DRI), October 2017.
- "You May Not be Covered for that Fraudulent Wire Transfer," Law360, November 4, 2016.