12544 High Bluff Drive, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92130
Dennis J. Doucette is Chair of Procopio's Corporate and Securities Practice Group and Team Leader for the Business and Technology Team. He has participated in more than 400 corporate finance transactions, including corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions and venture financing. Dennis’s practice focuses on buyers, sellers and investors in mergers, stock and asset purchases, management buyouts, reorganizations and related transactions. He has extensive experience with formations, corporate stock issuances, recapitalizations and reorganizations, stock restriction agreements, officers and directors advice, equity incentives/compensation, higher education compliance/governance, securities compliance and corporate governance. Dennis is also an adjunct professor at the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Represented majority shareholders in their sale of medical device company in a $100M sale to leading Nasdaq healthcare company.
- Represented soils and construction materials firm in its $14M sale to a larger competitor.
- Represented the largest privately held nursing company in its $40M acquisition of a national provider of healthcare workforce solutions.
- Represented medical supply company in its $160M sale to a leading healthcare private equity firm.
- Represented behavioral health company in its $33M sale to a leading private equity construction firm.
- Represented nonprofit better business organization in its merger with a regional nonprofit better business organization.
- Represented high performance computing company in its $20 Million Initial Public Offering and listing on Nasdaq.
- Represented bakery in its $8M acquisition of bakery and food manufacturing company.
- Represented Nasdaq software simulation company in its acquisition of a clinical trial data analysis company and a drug –induced liver analysis company valued at over $15M.
- Represented leasing platform housing company in its $250M sale to a leading Nasdaq provider of real estate software and data analytics company.
- Represented golf simulation company in its $30M sale to a private equity firm and golf manufacturing company.
- Represented high end hunting gear company in its $50,000,000 sale of minority interest to leading private consumer growth equity firm.
- Represented nutrition bar company in significant private equity investment from leading food and brand firm.
- Represented Irish pharmaceutical company in $2.5B merger with a NASDAQ pharmaceutical company.
- Represented vegan restaurant chain in several of its acquisition and fundings of new restaurants.
- Represented Irish pharmaceutical company in $87M secondary public offering of shares in a NASDAQ pharmaceutical company.
- Represented high quality pizza restaurant chain in several of its acquisitions and financing of new locations and concepts.
- Represented minority shareholders in $800M sale of publishing enterprise to entertainment company.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in $30M sale to German acquirer.
- Represented biofuels company in $10.5M industrial development bond refinancing.
- Represented management in their $165M buyout of the US operations of a large London Stock Exchange homebuilder.
- Represented NYSE company in acquisition of 50 cash advance companies in Southern California.
- Represented a large public company bank in its $25M investment in a regional investment banking firm.
- Represented Italian biotech company in significant licensing/stock deal with NASDAQ biopharma company.
- Represented Internet lead generation business in its sale to a national competitor.
- Represented a design engineering firm in its $20M sale to a public company strategic buyer.
- Represented large privately held fitness center chains and owners in connection with sales of over 75 US and Asian fitness centers in two transactions valued at over $100M.
- Represented major fruit and vegetable distributor in its $30M sale to strategic competitor.
- Represented NASDAQ technology company in connection with its sale of a $75M Mexican subsidiary to a NYSE company.
- Represented Internet-based information technology company in connection with its $30M acquisition by a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Represented a beef processing plant in its $100M sale to public company competitor.
- Represented organic food company in its acquisition of smaller competitor.
- Represented underwriter in initial public offering of organic food company.
- Represented organic pasta company in its initial public offering.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- 2017 BNY Mellon M&A Advisor of the Year
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Super Lawyer® – 2007, 2009-2010, 2019 (Securities and Corporate Finance); 2014-2018 (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2014-2019
- Friend of Country Day Award, 2014
- Massachusetts State Coaches Track and Field Hall of Fame, 2014
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California, 2014
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorneys, 2010, 2014 (Corporate Transactional)
- “2013 Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, Securities Law, 2013
- “2013 Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, Technology Law, 2013
- USD School of Law Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient, 2008
- California Law Business Top 20 Under 40 Attorneys in California, 2001
“When Perfect Bar was looking for a great referenced attorney to help with our first private equity transaction Dennis Doucette’s name rose to the top, and after working with him I know why. He made what I considered a tough negotiating process, actually enjoyable, I really appreciated watching him negotiate on our behalf every step of the way and he taught me so much in the process. You know you have a great attorney when the premier P.E. group in the Natural Food industry says, 'He’s one of the best attorneys we have worked with, he’s tough but fair and is a true professional.' I recommend Dennis Doucette to anyone who is looking for a World-Class, experienced professional that will consider all the 'what ifs' scenarios (that get by many attorneys) and will advocate on your behalf through the entire process.”
Bill Keith, CEO & Founder
- San Diego Regional EDC – Board of Directors (2019-Present)
- Tear Film Innovations - Board of Directors (2015 – 2018)
- Design Institute of San Diego - Board of Directors, Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel, Finance Committee (2016 – present)
- USC Economics Leadership Council - Board Member (2018 – present)
- University of San Diego School of Law - Steering Committee, Board of Visitors (2009-present)
- Association of Corporate Growth –President, Board Member, Chair Programs Committee (1998-2015)
- Ecke YMCA – Board of Directors, Chairman, Finance Committee (2005-2015)
- University of San Diego School of Law – Board of Visitors Steering Committee, President Alumni Association (1998-2008)
- San Diego Venture Group – Board Member, President (1995-2006)
- Corporate Directors Forum – Board Member, Programs Committee Chair ((1998-2013)
- La Jolla Country Day School – Finance Committee, Retirement Plan Committee Chair (2010-2014)
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, cum laude, 1986
- MA (Economics), University of Southern California, 1983
- BS (Economics), University of Southern California, 1983
- “Procopio advises in AI company’s sale to global info business,” LA Daily Journal, August 20, 2019.
- “M&A: One Stop Systems Buys German Tech Supplier with Help from Procopio," San Diego Daily Transcript, November 20, 2018.
- “Health Care Staffing Businesses Combine with Procopio Counsel,” November 13, 2018.
- “Exact Sciences Buy Biomatrica with Help from Procopio, Reed Smith,” San Diego Daily Transcript, October 30, 2018.
- “Linden Capital Invests in Solara Medical Supplies,” San Diego Daily Transcript, June 12, 2018.
- “One Stop Systems Goes Public with Help from Procopio, Dickinson Wright,” San Diego Daily Transcript, February 6, 2018.
- “Procopio Tapped by Tear Film Innovations for Counsel in 9M Series A Financing,” San Diego Daily Transcript, November 21, 2017.
- “Simulations Plus taps Procopio in its purchase of simulation software provider for up to $10M,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, May 9, 2017.
- “Procopio Partner Elected to Association Board,” SD Metro Magazine, August 8, 2014.
- "The Daily Transcript congratulates Top Attorneys 2014,” The Daily Transcript, July 30, 2014.
- Fracassa, Dominic. “Procopio represents Italian drugmaker in sale to Salix,” Daily Journal, July 11, 2014.
- Baxter, Brian. “Cadwalader Takes Corporate Inversions to Another Level,’ The American Lawyers, July 9, 2014.
- “Country Day People,” TORREYtimes, January 17, 2014.
- “Q&A With Procopio's Dennis Doucette,” Law360, May 8, 2013.
- Panelist. “Business Succession Planning Discussion,” Bank of the West BNP Paribas, San Diego, CA, June 13, 2017.
- Moderator. “Capital Markets Update in the Action Sports and Lifestyle Industry,” ACG San Diego, San Diego, CA, March 15, 2016.
- Moderator. “Private Equity: Another Arrow in the Service Provider Quiver,” ACG San Diego, San Diego, CA, April 21, 2015.
- Panelist. “M&A of Early-Stage Startup: What Makes it Different?” Keizai Silicon Valley, Palo Alto, CA, March 26, 2015.
- “Are You Interested In Selling Your Company?” San Diego Financial Executives International, San Diego, CA, February 19, 2015.
- “New Limited Liability Company Law in California: Ready or Not, Changes Are Coming,” Advanced Tax Planning Institute, Carlsbad, CA, November 7, 2013.
- “Annual Business & Corporate Law Update,” San Diego County Business and Corporate Law Section, San Diego, CA, September 23, 2013.
- "Ten Key Steps to Take Before You Sell Your Business" August 2017.
- “Are You Interested in Selling Your Company?” California Business Practice, October 2013.