Procopio attorneys work closely with consumer products clients, providing a wide range of legal support. Our team is a collaboration of attorneys with diverse practices and consumer products brand experience who possess an in-depth understanding of the day-to-day challenges faced by manufacturers, licensors, distributors and retailers of consumer products. We assist and counsel clients by helping them establish, operate and protect their businesses, proactively help them grow their businesses, and eventually maximize the value of such business through an exit.
We have a passionate interest in the wide range of industries we serve--including apparel, food and beverage, luxury goods, active sports, and more--and are committed to remaining on the cutting edge. We serve on the boards of and are active members in a wide variety of consumer product industry trade associations, and routinely attend trade shows to immerse ourselves in the latest innovations in the consumer products space. We regularly write for trade publications and provide informational lectures on industry-specific topics.
As a full-service AmLaw 200 business and litigation law firm, Procopio is equipped to handle every legal need in the consumer products industry, including:
- Product Packaging
- Fundraising, Financing and Restructuring Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Strategic Joint Ventures
- Branding and Other Intellectual Property Protection
- Licensing, Distribution, Co-Packing and Commercial Agreements
- Export Controls
- Labor Law Compliance
- Tax Strategies
- Real Estate Facilities
- Interenet Regulatory and Compliance Issues
- General Counsel Services
Our attorneys have worked on numerous legal matters for a wide array of consumer products companies, including:
- Represented majority shareholders in nutritional snack company in their $340M sale to international NYSE brand company
- Represented Oakley, a worldwide leader in performance optics, it its acquisition of Eye Safety Systems for $110M
- Represented Oakley in the acquisition of The Optical Shop of Aspen for an undisclosed amount
- Represented Oakley in the acquisition of Oliver Peoples® for $55.7M
- Represented DC Shoes, Inc., a leader in performance skateboarding shoes and a renowned action sports brand, in its acquisition by Quicksilver, Inc. for $50M
- Represented Prana, a designer and manufacturer of active wear, in its $50M acquisition by Liz Claiborne, Inc.
- Represented Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY), a designer and manufacturer of golf equipment and apparel, in its acquisition of FrogTrader, Inc. (now Callaway Golf Interactive, Inc.), a leader in ecommerce and retail logistics
- Represented Family Fitness Centers in its $63M acquisition by 24 Hour Nautilus
- Represented Ray Wilson California Fitness in its $42M acquisition by Fitness Holdings (Asia), an affiliate of 24 Hour Fitness
- Represented a premier surf and stand up paddle board company in its acquisition by a leading watersports company
- Represented a leading climbing shoe company in its acquisition by a large outdoor company
- Represented a leading company in the surf industry in multiple strategic acquisitions
- Represented SIR Fitness Holdings in its acquisition and development of six Crunch Fitness facilities in Orange County
- Represented golf simulation company in its sale to a private equity firm and golf manufacturing company
“When Perfect Bar was looking for a great referenced attorney to help with our first private equity transaction, Procopio rose to the top. They made what I considered a tough negotiating process, actually enjoyable. I really appreciated having a world-class, experienced professional considering all the 'what ifs' scenarios and advocating on my behalf through the entire process.”
-- Bill Keith, CEO & Founder, Perfect Bar
“Working with Procopio allows us to focus on what we do best, which is creating superior motocross and bicycle products. Procopio understands our business and the action sports industry. No matter what the issue is, we know that Procopio has our back and will provide us with strategic and high-quality advice.”
-- Rhett Souders, Former Chief Financial Officer, ONE Industries
"The Procopio team played a vital role in helping our business succeed, and yet their knowledge, commitment and dedication are all secondary to how they treat their clients. We are honored to have them represent us and recommend them to anyone looking for counsel on environmental and energy issues."
-- Eric Brandt, President, One World Beef
"With the Procopio team's support and due diligence, we were able to realize a life-long dream of establishing a company in the Bay Area to promote our world-class wines. Even President Obama has tried our biodynamic wines! We owe a great deal of our success to the attorneys at Procopio."
-- Ernesto Catena, Ernesto Catena Vineyards
“Procopio is a highly sophisticated law firm with a vast network of international associates that can provide superior legal counsel in literally every legal issue that is relevant to companies within the Action Sports industry. We trust in our team at Procopio to provide not only superior legal counsel, but unparalleled customer service.”
-- Jennifer Struebing, Chief Operating Officer, Zanheadgear
"The team at Procopio has been with us every step of the way, helping us establish patents and trademarks for our body-surfing products both in the US and abroad and reviewing proposed distribution and sales agreements as well as various contracts for promotional opportunities. Procopio always has our best interests in mind, and we trust them to protect our business as it continues to grow and thrive.”
-- Nick Gadler, Creator, WaveWrecker