12544 High Bluff Drive, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92130
- Capital Markets and Securities
- Emerging Growth and Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Strategic Joint Ventures
Paul B. Johnson helps entrepreneurs and their investors get companies formed, funded and sold, including initial formation of corporations and LLCs, negotiation of seed, early and mid-stage equity financings and buy and sell-side mergers and acquisitions. Paul is also adept at venture capital investments, public and private securities offering and compliance and general business counseling. Paul has also counseled some of San Diego’s most successful companies in Securities and Exchange Commission compliance and general corporate governance.
Paul is a member of Procopio’s COVID-19 Legal Resources Team.
FORMATIONS AND FUNDING:
Formed a number of start-ups, including many entering the Procopio LaunchPad incubator, including:
- Pendram, Inc., a company applying technology to controlling humidity and temperature in storage solutions.
- Ivy Energy, Inc., a company focused on allowing landlords to bill tenants for their allocation of solar-generated power
- Givatar, Inc., a company providing technology to read prescription medication labels and assist people with appropriate dosing
- Planck Aerosystem drone company that also received multiple rounds of financing.
- Bretelon, Inc., a company focused on hardware and software enabling location services, which received multiple rounds of financing and was ultimately sold to Sigma Designs.
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS:
On the investor / buyer side, multiple transactions for:
- Illumina, Inc.
- Petco Animal Supplies Stores, Inc.
- VSP Global
On the seller side:
- Forecast 3D in its sale to GKN
- Juxta Labs in its sale to Twenty, LLC
- Novia Strategies in its sale to GE Healthcare
- Growth Pilots in its sale to WPromote
- OpenEd in its sale to ACT
- Karel Manufacturing in its sale to Celestica
- San Diego Business Journal Leaders in Law, 2020 finalist
- West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM, 2019
- Leaders in Law finalist, San Diego Business Journal, 2019
- BNY Mellon M&A Advisor of the Year 2016 and 2017 (sell-side legal representation in a sale to a public company)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- Best of the Bar, San Diego Business Journal, 2015
- Top Lawyers, San Diego Magazine, 2015-present
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorney – 2012 (Corporate Transactional)
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Board
- San Diego Venture Group – PitchFest 2012-2014 Steering Committees
- Connect / University of San Diego Law School Law Clinic
- Board of Directors, YMCA Camps
- JD, BYU J. Reuben Clark Law School, cum laude, 1996 (Law Review Editor)
- MBA (International Finance), Brigham Young University, cum laude, 1996
- BS (International Finance), Brigham Young University, 1992
- “2020 Leaders in Law Finalists,” San Diego Business Journal, November 9, 2020.
- “Ei Risk Management Corp. acquires Colorado’s ABCO Engineering Corp. with help from Procopio,” San Diego Daily Transcript, February 25, 2020.
- “M&A: Procopio Tapped for Solana Biosciences’ Sale to Inscripta” The Daily Transcript, September 11, 2018.
- “M&A: San Diego Composites Finds New Home at Applied Composites Holdings,” The Daily Transcript, March 6, 2018.
- Moran, Lyle. “Law firm helping launch startups,” The Daily Transcript, February 4, 2015.
- Pierce, Emmet. “Smooth Selling,” San Diego Business Journal, March 10, 2014.
- Co-presenter: “PPP: Did You Really Qualify & What Are the Risks If You Got the Money Anyway?” May 12, 2020.
- "SBA Eases The Minds of Borrowers Concerned About the PPP "Necessity" Certification," May 13, 2020.
- Co-author. “Considerations for Angel and VC Funded Startups and Emerging Growth Companies Considering a Loan Under The Paycheck Protection Program,” April 28, 2020.
- Co-author. "Business Assistance Funds Under The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, And Economic Security Act," March 27, 2020.
- Co-author with Aaron Sokoloff, “How Your Company’s Valuation Can Be Impacted by Convertible Notes,” December 7, 2017.
- “5 Critical Mistakes to Avoid In Any M&A Deal,” October 19, 2017
- Co-author with Aaron Sokoloff, "When Investors Require Side Agreements," September 21, 2017.
- Co-author. “The Trouble with Strategic Financings,” June 16, 2015.