Michelle J. Wells is a Senior Associate who counsels clients on a variety of business matters related to construction, litigation, and commercial tenancies. Michelle’s practice focuses on business and civil litigation with an emphasis on construction litigation representing owners, general contractors, and sureties. She is experienced in contractual disputes, mechanic’s liens and bond claims. Michelle is admitted to practice in California and Hawaii and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central and Northern Districts of California.
- Represents owners and general contractors in regard to payment disputes and disputes involving extra work, defects, and delays.
- Represents commercial tenants in lease disputes.
- Represented HOA in case involving alleged breach of CC&Rs.
- Represented corporate software provider in breach of contract matter.
- Represented staffing agencies for wage and hour violations.
- Represented sporting events company in various litigation matters, including wage and hour violations and discrimination claims.
- Represented conservator in wrongful death matter.
- The Best Lawyers in America® Ones To Watch 2021 (Litigation-Construction)
- CALI Award Winner for Tax I, UCC Sales, Corporate Governance, and Public Interest Law & Practice
- Outstanding Contributor to the California Regulatory Law Reporter
- Best Appellate Brief Award, Lawyering Skills
- San Diego County Bar Association – Servicemember Civil Relief Act Pro Bono Panel Attorney
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program – Tenant Rights Clinic Volunteer
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program – Domestic Violence Clinic Volunteer
- California Innocence Project – Volunteer (2008)
- San Diego Coastkeeper – Volunteer Water Monitor (2007-2008)
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 2011 (San Diego Law Review - Lead Articles Editor)
- BA (Political Science), University of California, magna cum laude, San Diego, 2007
- Co-author. "Entering a New Era – Taking and Defending Remote Depositions," ABA Under Construction Winter 2020 Newsletter, December 11, 2020.
- “Second Place Bidder on Public Works Project Can Sue Winning Bidder for Illegally Lowering Its Bid,” Foundations Procopio’s Construction Newsletter, March 19, 2015.
- “Developments in California Prevailing Wage Law,” Foundations Procopio’s Construction Newsletter, March 19, 2015.
- Co-author. “California Supreme Court Clarifies Enforceability of Class Action and Representative Waivers in Arbitration Agreements,” June 25, 2014.