Merrick focuses his practice on advising public agencies and charter schools on a variety of issues regarding governance, contracts, conflicts of interest, real property acquisition, the Ralph M. Brown Act, and the California Public Records Act. He regularly advises charter school clients on entity formation, planning, and relations with charter authorizers, and also assists with new charter submissions, appeals, revocation proceedings, and renewals at all levels—local, county, and state. Merrick also has experience assisting with various phases of civil litigation and appeals.
Prior to joining Procopio, Merrick was a law clerk at the United States Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of California, Civil Division where he assisted on cases involving bankruptcy, employment, and medical malpractice issues. Prior to law school, Merrick worked as a substitute teacher in all grade levels at the Kings County Office of Education.
- State Bar of California, Public Law Section
- California Charter Schools Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Tom Homann Law Association
- JD, California Western School of Law, magna cum laude (Distinguished Advocate Award, Academic Achievement Award)
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- Co-presenter. Charter School Governance Training, hosted by the Ventura County Office of Education, Camarillo, CA, September 11, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Navigating the Rough Waters of Charter Renewals, Appeals, and Revocations," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Navigating the Rough Waters of Charter Renewals, Appeals and Revocations," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Co-presenter. "Brown Act & Public Records Act Training: Come Check the Box," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Co-author, "Important New Charter School Rules You Might Not Be Prepared To Implement," November 6, 2019