Merrick focuses his practice on advising nonprofits, charter schools, and public agencies on a variety of issues regarding governance, entity formation, contracts, conflicts of interest, real property acquisition, and a variety of other operational issues. For his charter school clients, Merrick regularly advises on the Brown Act, California Public Records Act, and relations with charter authorizers, and also assists with new charter submissions, appeals, revocation proceedings, and renewals. Merrick also has experience assisting with various phases of civil litigation and appeals.
Merrick regularly provides trainings on topics such as the Brown Act, Public Records Act, avoiding conflicts of interest under the Political Reform Act and Government Code section 1090, and new legislation impacting clients in the education sector. He regularly presents at conferences hosted by the California Charter Schools Association, and has also conducted FPPC Form 700 Workshops for his charter school and public agency clients.
Prior to joining Procopio, Merrick was a law clerk at the United States Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of California, Civil Division where he assisted on cases involving bankruptcy, employment, and medical malpractice issues. Prior to law school, Merrick worked as a substitute teacher in all grade levels at the Kings County Office of Education.
- State Bar of California, Public Law Section
- California Charter Schools Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Tom Homann Law Association
- JD, California Western School of Law, magna cum laude (Distinguished Advocate Award, Academic Achievement Award)
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- Co-presenter. "Essential Charter School Policies," 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- Co-presenter. “Best Board Meeting Ever: 2021 Virtual Edition," 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- Co-presenter. “Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- "Form 700 Workshop and Q&A," February 2, 2021.
- Co-presenter. Charter School Governance Training, hosted by the Ventura County Office of Education, Camarillo, CA, September 11, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Navigating the Rough Waters of Charter Renewals, Appeals, and Revocations," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Navigating the Rough Waters of Charter Renewals, Appeals and Revocations," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Co-presenter. "Brown Act & Public Records Act Training: Come Check the Box," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Co-author, "Important New Charter School Rules You Might Not Be Prepared To Implement," November 6, 2019