525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
John D. Alessio, Procopio's Managing Partner, focuses on complex class action, business and employment litigation with particular experience in trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, real estate, shareholder and contractual disputes to include cross-border issues. He has achieved great results for clients of all sizes in civil trials, arbitrations and mediations.
- Defended numerous businesses and executives in class actions and individual claims regarding trade secrets, misappropriation, unfair compensation, consumer claims, wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment, whistle blowing, contractual disputes, ownership disputes, real estate disputes and related matters.
- Prevailed in class action trial defending a municipality.
- Defeated and favorably resolved class actions against banks, mortgage companies, product manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers, construction companies, car dealers, restaurants and others.
- Achieved class action certification and favorable resolution in an age-discrimination employment claim.
- Defended and prosecuted cases on behalf of landlords in commercial litigation and toxic tort matters.
- Defended and prosecuted cases on behalf of Mexican businesses in commercial disputes and personal injuries occurring in Mexico and filed in California.
- Defended and prosecuted cases on behalf of majority and minority shareholders, partners, members and managers in breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and related matters.
- Defended lender liability cases.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- San Diego Business Journal, "Top 500 Business Leaders" - 2017-present
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America® - 2016-present (Commercial Litigation, Litigation -- Intellectual Property, Litigation -- Real Estate)
- San Diego Business Journal “Best of the Bar” – 2015-2016 (Commercial Litigation, Class Action) -- competition no longer held
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – 2012-present (Business Litigation)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013-present
- PEERS, Member
- Entrepreneurs Organization, Member
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Food & Beverage Association of San Diego
- Red Autismo Foundation – Founding Director
- San Diego County Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 1994
- BS (Business Administration), University of San Diego, 1991
- Sarah de Crescenzo.“Procopio Ushers in Leadership Changes in New Year,” San Diego Business Journal, January 3, 2018.
- De Crescenzo Sarah. "Alessio Takes Reins; Turner Finds Time is Right to Turn over Leadership at Procopio," September 21, 2017.
- Brainard, Karen. "Court Rules in Water District's Favor," Ramona Sentinel, November 4, 2015.
- Brainard, Karen. "Court Hears First Phase of Sewer Fee Challenge," Ramona Sentinel, November 3, 2015.
- “John D. Alessio Elected to Management Panel,” San Diego Metro Magazine, January 28, 2015.
- Moran, Lyle. “Law Briefs,” The Daily Transcript, January 28, 2015.
- Lucia, Katie. “Shatterproof Glass,” Daily Journal, November 29, 2013.