525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Admissions: California ; U.S. District Court, Central District of California ; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California ; U.S. District Court, Northern District of California ; U.S. District Court, Southern District of California ; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Jacob K. Poorman represents clients in intellectual property and other complex commercial disputes. Jake has experience in all phases of litigation in federal, state, and arbitral proceedings, as well as in proceedings before U.S. governmental agencies. Jake provides strategic advice to individuals and companies on a range of issues, including litigation risk and compliance. He also maintains an active pro bono practice, and has received Congressional recognition for his advocacy on behalf of veterans in Southern California.
In addition to his experience in private practice, Jake served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jay C. Zainey, United States District Court Judge in the Eastern District of Louisiana, and spent six months on a secondment to the Los Angeles City Attorneys’ office where he worked as a prosecutor.
- Represented group of defendants in patent infringement action alleging infringement of patent relating to searchable databases.
- Represented software company in litigation concerning an enterprise resource planning software program.
- Represented clothing manufacturers in copyright and trademark action against alleged infringer.
- Represented multinational electronics company in litigation alleging trademark infringement by mobile gaming applications.
- Represented leading internet domain name registry operator in dispute alleging violations of the Sherman Act and California’s Cartwright Act.
- Represented national department store chain in several consumer class actions regarding comparative pricing.
- Represented cooling design company in trade secret and breach of contract case involving data center cooling technology against former employee.
- Represented global chemical products company in patent infringement action regarding patents on polyimide film against alleged infringer.
- Represented website publisher in anti-Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (SLAPP) challenges.
- Represented candy manufacturer in trademark action against alleged infringer.
- Successfully argued Werner v. Dowlatsingh, 818 Fed.Appx. 671 (Ninth Cir. June 19, 2020) on behalf of Canadian YouTube star accused of copyright infringement.
- Represented leading Internet domain name registry operator in U.S. governmental agency proceedings and contract negotiations in connection with the operation of Internet registries for the domain name system
- ACLU of Southern California’s 2016 Educational Equity Award
- ACLU of Southern California’s 2015 Humanitarian Award
- Public Counsel’s 2014 Impact Litigation Award
- ACLU of Southern California’s 2012 Humanitarian Award
- JD, University of Chicago Law School, 2008 (University of Chicago Law Review – Member)
- BA, Williams College, 2003
- Exercising the Passive Virtues in Interpreting Civil RICO ‘Business or Property’, 75 U. Chi L. Rev. 1773, Fall 2008.