Sports and Active Lifestyle
Our Sports and Active Lifestyle practice group is a collaboration of attorneys with diverse practices and experience, each of whom possesses an in-depth understanding of the challenges faced by companies in the industry. This affords us the knowledge to establish, operate and protect both emerging and well-known businesses in all sports, including surf, skate, snow, motocross, golf, cycling, running, swimming and equine sports, as well as provide representation of individual athletes.
Being athletes ourselves, we celebrate your passion for all sports. We regularly attend sports industry association events and attend tradeshows to stay on top of new trends in this fun and innovative space.
Business, Real Estate and Employment Services
- Structure entities and negotiate facilities transactions
- Establish best business practices and policies
- Provide guidance on labor and employment laws
Intellectual Property Services
- Establish business names that can be protected
- Obtain patent, trademark and copyright protection through registration
- Develop and manage intellectual property portfolios
- Develop effective brand strategies
- Handle trademark, patent and copyright infringement issues
- Protect trade secrets and assist with trade secret misappropritation issues
- Develop license arrangements
Finance, Tax and other Business Services
- Develop business and personal tax plans
- Obtain financing
- Analyze alternative partnering arrangements
- Establish sponsorship and/or licensing agreements
- Develop a business exit strategy and succession plans
- Developed an intellectual property assessment for a ski apparel company, advising them on a worldwide brand protection strategy.
- Negotiated a licensing agreement for a skate apparel company for exclusive distribution rights to a third-party in Thailand for utilization of its brand on clothing and accessories.
- Worked on international trademarks and patents for surf and skateboard companies, which includes maintaining and policing trademarks and patents in foreign countries.
- Represented a surfboard inventor in a breach of contract case.
- Worked with surf, skate and ski companies to determine which product and brand patents and trademarks to file.
- Defended a ski company in a patent infringement action.
- Defended a surf apparel company in a trademark infringement case.
- Prosecuted and counseled on trademarks and patents for golf companies; filed for patents on multiple products as well as trademarks to protect them around the world.
- Obtained a trademark for golf course name.
- Represented a skateboard and apparel manufacturer to complete a tax-efficient sale of a trademark for exclusive use in the Philippines.