Services & Specializations
525 B Street, Suite 2200, San Diego, CA 92101
Matt focuses on the representation of companies in their formation and organization, mergers and acquisitions, limited liability companies and other general corporate matters, with significant specialized experience working with healthcare and financial services clients. He has extensive experience designing and implementing executive and equity-based compensation arrangements for private and public companies.
- Represented numerous healthcare providers in sales and mergers of medical practices, formations of joint ventures, and other transactional matters.
- Act as outside general counsel to numerous regional financial services firms.
- Represented numerous start-up technology companies in their formation and provided guidance on the use of limited liability companies, partnerships and S corporations.
- Represented wine manufacturer in acquisition of another winery, including real estate assets.
- Advises brewery owners and operators on a variety of business and legal issues related to the acquisition and operation of craft breweries.
- Advised numerous public and privately-held companies with the design and implementation of equity compensation plans and compliance with the related tax and securities laws.
- JD, Lewis & Clark Law School (Journal of Small and Emerging Business Law Notes and Comments Editor)
- LL.M. (Taxation), Georgetown University Law Center, with distinction
- BA (English), The University of Arizona
- Author. “6 Key Considerations When Selling Your Privately Held Company,” June 7, 2022.
- Author. “6 Key Considerations When Selling Your Privately Held Company,” December 19, 2017.
- Moderator. “Craft Beer Industry – Opportunities and Trends,” Chula Vista City Hall, Council Chambers Building A, San Diego, Ca, June 22, 2017.
- Presenter. “Top 10 Legal Considerations for Craft Breweries” San Diego State University, August 18, 2017.
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association, Business and Taxation Sections
- The State Bar of California
- “Procopio advises in AI company’s sale to global info business,” LA Daily Journal, August 20, 2019.
- Dan Heching, Gina Kim and Melanie Brisbon. “Exactech acquires XpandOrtho, with help from Procopio,” San Diego Daily Transcript, March 19, 2019.
- “Exact Sciences Buy Biomatrica with Help from Procopio, Reed Smith,” San Diego Daily Transcript, October 30, 2018.