Annual Review of New Employment Cases and Statutes
The Santa Clara County Bar Association (SCBA) presents a two-hour Labor and Employment Law Section MCLE Seminar/Webinar January 17, 2020 at 12:00 pm PT: "It's that time again! The Annual Review of Last Year's New Employment Cases and Statutes."
Join Procopio Partner Tyler Paetkau, from our Silicon Valley office, and Amanda Riddle from Corey, Luzaich, de Ghetaldi & Riddle LLP for a luncheon seminar at the SCBA office highlighting and summarizing the many significant labor and employment law decisions and laws enacted in 2019.
Among other developments, Tyler and Amanda will discuss the impact of the following:
- Medical issues in the workplace, including leaves of absence and the mandatory interactive process under the ADA/FEHA;
- An update on the many important discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination court decisions and new laws banning discrimination based on hair textures and hairstyles;
- Privacy and off-duty conduct, including updates on the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) and the new California Consumer Privacy Act’s impact on employers;
- Major wage-hour developments regarding joint employer and payroll provider liability, the California Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act (“PAGA”), the potential retroactive application ofDynamex(independent contractor test), meal and rest break and pay statement violations, reporting time pay, expense reimbursement and California’s rejection of the federalde minimusdefense;
- Arbitration – including new AB 51, which not only prohibits, but also purports to criminalize, an employer requiring any applicant or employee, as a condition of employment, to agree to arbitration of any claim under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act or Labor Code;
- The new Trump Board’s NLRA decisions and positions; and
- Trade secrets, restrictive covenants and unfair competition developments.
To learn more about the event and sign up to attend in person or view the webinar, click here.