PROCOPIO’S COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
At Procopio, achieving greater diversity, equity and inclusion – be it racial, ethnic, gender, nationality or sexual orientation – within the firm and in the legal profession is more than a philosophy, it is a vital part of our practice and culture. We're pleased our efforts are frequently recognized, for example:
- Recognized in the 2021 Law360 Diversity Snapshot as the #3 most diverse mid-size U.S. Law firm and #5 overall for all law firms over 100 attorneys.
- Ranked again in 2021 as one of the most diverse law firms in the AmLaw200 by American Law Media.
- Named a Mansfield Rule Certified Plus firm by Diversity Lab in 2021.
MANSFIELD RULE CERTIFICATION PLUS
Procopio achieved the coveted Mansfield Certification Plus from Diversity Lab in 2021, its top diversity ranking. Procopio achieved Mansfield certification in 2020, recognizing that the firm considered at least 30% women, lawyers from underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, lawyers with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ lawyers for top leadership roles, senior-level lateral hiring, promotions into the equity partnership, and participation in client pitches. Mansfield Plus certification in 2021 confirms Procopio not only considered diverse candidates but also achieved at least 30% diversity in key leadership positions and billed attorney hours among those participating in client pitches. Learn more in our press release.
OUR COMMUNITY COMMITMENT
We have long promoted diversity inclusion across the broader legal community through our support of diverse bar associations and law school programs, including scholarship programs. Our latest effort, created by our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and our Racial Equality Task Force, is the Procopio Scholarship and Internship Award, given to San Diego law students of color with an initial emphasis on Black candidates and/or candidates who have made significant contributions to the Black community. We are a Law Firm Antiracism Alliance member, and have taken the Diversity Pledge with the San Diego County Bar Association in our ongoing commitment in recruitment and hiring, promotion and leadership, staffing of matters, and community engagement.
WHY IT MATTERS
We invite you to hear directly from some of our attorneys on their perspectives on diversity, equity and inclusion:
We also invite you to watch short individual interviews of Procopio Partners Adrian Martinez, Susan Daly and Fred Taylor:
- 2021: Mansfield Rule Certification Plus, Diversity Lab
- 2021: Best Law Firm for Minority Attorneys, ranking of mid-size law firms, Law360
- 2021: Listed among Top Law Firms for Diversity, ranking of 200+ largest law firms, American Lawyer magazine (AmLaw 200)
- 2020: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Winner, Mid-Size Company, San Diego Business Journal
- 2020: Mansfield Rule Certification, Diversity Lab
- 2020: Listed as a Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LMAA) member
- 2020: Listed among Top Law Firms for Diversity, ranking of 200+ largest law firms, American Lawyer magazine (AmLaw 200)
- 2020: Inclusion Blueprint winner for attorney diversity in Antitrust, IP, Privacy & Cyber, Diversity Lab and ChIPs
- 2019: Best Law Firm for Minority Attorneys, ranking of mid-size law firms, Law360
- 2019: Listed among Top Law Firms for Diversity, ranking of 200+ largest law firms, American Lawyer magazine (AmLaw 200)
- 2019: Top 100 Law Firm for Women, Women Inc. magazine
- 2018: Listed among Top Law Firms for Diversity, ranking of 200+ largest law firms, American Lawyer magazine (AmLaw 200)
- 2017: Best Law Firm for Minority Attorneys, ranking of mid-size law firms, Law360
- 2017: Listed among Top Law Firms for Diversity, ranking of 200+ largest law firms, American Lawyer magazine (AmLaw 200)
- 2017: Diversity and Inclusion Awards finalist, San Diego Business Journal
- 2017: Drucilla Stender Ramey Majority-Owned Law Firm Awards finalist, California Minority Counsel Program
THE BOTTOM LINE
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce at all levels fosters an environment that supports innovation and creative problem solving to better serve our clients. Diversity and inclusion helps provide a wide range of viewpoints and perspectives to the issues that our clients face, and helps contribute to innovative solutions. It is our goal to create and maintain a firm wide culture and environment that supports and promotes diversity so that all employees, regardless of their background, feel welcome, included, valued, supported and able to succeed and reach their potential of excellence at Procopio.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair: Adriana R. Ochoa
Racial Equality Task Force Chair: Dave Deonarine
Mansfield Rule Coordinator: Mindy M. Morton