Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110-2492
The University of San Diego School of Law and Procopio International Tax Institute has become the premier educational and networking event for the latest developments in the international tax laws of the U.S., Mexico and Canada. For eight years, USD-PITI has been attracting reputable and internationally recognized leaders in the field of international tax and serves as an educational platform as well as an opportunity to network among industry colleagues.
The USD-PITI conference reveals International Tax trending topics that affects your cross-border business operations. This stellar program will cover today’s financial environment and fine points of international tax with a focus on wealth and conservation planning strategies between Canada, Mexico and the United States.
The 9th Annual USD-PITI Conference continues with this tradition of knowledge and collegiality by remaining on the forefront of new and relevant developments in U.S., Mexican and Canadian international tax law arena. This year’s keynote speaker will be Professor Reuven S. Avi-Yonah, Director of the International Tax LLM Program University of Michigan.
Topics that will be covered during the two day seminar include:
• Record Renunciation of U.S. Citizenships; Tax Consequences, Life Changes & Passports
• Finally FATCA - Before its Implementation - This Time Really?
• International Tax Update: Mexico Stepping into the Big Leagues with a Brilliant Tax Reform
• U.S. International Tax Directors - Round Table
• OECD International Tax Initiatives – Base Erosion and Exchange of Information
• Mexico International Tax Directors - Round Table
• Corporate Compliance: The Confluence of International Criminal Tax, Money Laundering and the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA)
• Cross-Border Structures with Hybrid Entities: Avoiding Common Pitfalls (YIN)
Conference Speakers will include:
- Hon. Alfredo Gutiérrez Ortíz Mena, Mexican Supreme Court Justice (Former Commissioner of Mexican Tax Administration Service)
- Lic. Aristóteles Núñez, Commissioner of Mexican Tax Administration Service (Invited)
- J. Paul Dubé B.A., LL.B, J.D., Taxpayers Ombudsman - Canada Revenue Agency
- Hon. Jean Claude Tron Petit, Mexican Circuit Court
- Lic. Oscar Molina Chie, General Administration of Large Taxpayers Division (SAT)
- Mark J. Matthews, Esq., Caplin & Drysdale (Former Chief of IRS Criminal Investigation Division)
- Eric R. LoPresti, Esq., Senior Attorney Advisor for the National Taxpayers Advocate - IRS
- Dr. Herbert Bettinger - Bettinger Asesores, S.C.
- John C. McDougal, Esq., Special Trial Attorney - IRS
Simultaneous Spanish/English translations will be available.
Earn 12.50 MCLE Credits: USD, School of Law is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.
Earn 12 CPE Credits: This organization follows the CE guidelines specified in the California Board of Accountancy Regulations
The USD-PITI was designed for tax practitioners and financial professionals to remain on the cutting edge of international tax matters. International tax experts from the U.S. Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service in D.C. along with their counterparts from Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público and SAT, U.S., Mexican and Canadian attorneys, accountants, corporate tax directors, managers, controllers, banking and financial advisors to multinational investors and financial executives responsible for cross border accountability operations should attend this once-a-year opportunity to join colleagues in gaining knowledge on and discussing the essential changes in international taxation to stay competitive and innovative.
In an ever-changing workplace and multi-national economic environment, it is the responsibility of tax practitioners and financial professionals to remain current with up-to-the minute and detailed knowledge of international tax law matters. The economic events taking place in the world has put increasing pressure on tax and financial policies of governments, specifically including the NAFTA countries that has led to numerous changes and modifications in the law. Government officials are now increasingly focusing their efforts in the area of international tax and transactions to help close budget and so-called "tax gaps". These ongoing changes in the law and policy demand that tax and financial professionals proactively seek out the newest developments and tax compliance strategies.
Reserve your room at the Omni Hotel and mention the USD-Procopio International Tax Institute to receive our special conference rate of $155 per night. Visit the Omni Hotel to make your reservation.
NOTE: Special group rate of $155 available through October 1st, 2013