Tracie represents public agencies and nonprofits in all facets of litigation and on a range of governance and operational matters, including compliance, contracting and employment. Tracie’s practice focuses on public and private sector labor and employment relations, including risk management, FLSA and California Labor Code compliance, and unionized workforce matters. Tracie also aides clients with public contracting and procurement on the federal and local levels, and advises on compliance under school nutrition (NSLP), early childhood education (Head Start) and rural development (USDA) programs.
Informed by her experience as a litigator and her broad range of practice, Tracie takes care to provide her clients with comprehensive and practical advice. Tracie is also proud to have provided over 135 hours of pro-bono legal services to indigent and other needy clients since joining Procopio, including through the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
- Drafts personnel policies, employment contracts, separation agreements, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Conducts labor negotiations and workplace investigations, supports Human Resources professionals and provides staff trainings.
- Represents employers in grievance arbitration, mediation, and administrative hearings with PERB, NLRB, DFEH and CalPERS.
- Represents employers in workplace violence restraining order hearings, and has successfully obtained permanent workplace violence restraining orders.
- Sits as general counsel at board meetings for special districts and charter schools and advises on compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act, California Public Records Act, Political Reform Act, Proposition 218 and other municipal and charter school law matters.
- Drafts and reviews public works contracts for technical, professional and construction services, evaluates bid protests and conducts staff trainings in prevailing wage law.
- Second chaired three day bench trial on breach of contract claims.
- Assisted on issuance of over $80 million dollars in bonds and private financing, including public and private financing for capital projects, equipment financing, and bond issues for public agencies and nonprofits.
- Legal Aid Society of San Diego Outstanding Service Award – 2012
- UC Hastings Snodgrass Competition – 2009 Second Place Oral Advocate
- California Association of Sanitation Agencies
- Association of Business and Trial Lawyers
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Slow Food Urban San Diego
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of Law, 2011, cum laude
- BA, University of California, San Diego, 2006, provost’s honors
- “Procopio adds associates Jones, Stender, Wells,” The Daily Transcript, September 15, 2014.
- “Creating an Anti-Racist Workplace While Preventing Employment Liability,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 19, 2021.
- “Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- "COVID-19 Vaccine Programs for the Charter School Workplace,” Webinar, February 18, 2021.
- “The California Public Records Act: A Helpful Research & Discovery Tool?” San Diego, CA, November 5, 2019.
- “School Health & Safety Practicum,” The 26th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 14, 2019.
- “Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics,” The 26th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 13, 2019.
- “Public Works & Public Contracting,” San Diego, CA, July 30, 2018
- “Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics,” The 25th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- “It’s All About that Documentation,” The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- “Emerging Trends in School Health and Safety - Cops, Courts, SB277 and More,” The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- “Essential Employment Policies To Move Your School Forward,” The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 21, 2017.
- “New Rules Require Free and Reduced-Price Meals: Are You Ready?” November 13, 2018.
- “What to Do About Union Dues? Janus, SB 866 and Charter Schools,” July 9, 2018.
- “Geolocation and Jurisdiction: From Purposeful Availment to Avoidance and Targeting on the Internet,” Journal of Technology Law & Policy, December 2011