As an associate in Procopio’s Labor and Employment group, Stephenie Alexander primarily focuses her practice on counseling charter schools, public agencies and private entities to assist with compliance issues and the mitigation of risks of potential claims and litigation. Stephenie’s approach to counseling clients combines guidance on the legal ramifications of federal and state employment laws while offering pragmatic solutions to complex matters. Representative counseling matters include, but are not limited to, hiring and payroll practices, employee classifications, harassment/discrimination claims, leave laws (FMLA/CFRA/PDL/ADA/PSL and others), workplace investigations and terminations. Stephenie also focuses on the development and implementation of personnel policies, handbooks and employment agreements.
- Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder (AWI-CH), Member
- California Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Member
- San Diego Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Association of Workplace Investigators, Member
- San Diego Humane Society, Volunteer
- JD, University of San Diego, School of Law, 2004
- BA, University of California, Irvine, 2000
- Co-presenter. “Marijuana, Assistive Animals and Other Quirky Issues in the Workplace,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2018, San Diego, CA, November 8, 2018.
- Co-presenter. “Independent Contractor Implications Following Dynamex Decision,” County Counsels’ Association of California, San Diego, CA, October 26, 2018.
- Co-presenter. “Is the Sky Falling? Can Anyone Be An Independent Contractor Post-Dynamex?” Webinar, September 11, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Why Following a School District’s Wage and Hour Practices May Cost You," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. “So You Received An Employee Complaint…Now What?” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2017, San Diego, CA, November 16, 2017.
- Co-presenter. “It’s All About that Documentation,” The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation,” Lorman Education Services, Santa Ana, March 7, 2013.
- Co-author. “Wage Law Liability Risks Increase For General Contractors in 2018,” December 21, 2017.