Robert J. Brown counsels clients on capital markets and securities, real estate and tax. Robert’s practice focuses on tax and transactional planning and consulting over a broad range of business matters. He is experienced in tax planning, financing and structuring for real estate, joint ventures, private placement, as well as negotiating land acquisitions and financing.
“Ours was a complex deal involving multiple states and 24 different properties that we could not have undertaken without exceptional outside counsel. Bob and his team were on-point every step of the way, delivering exceptional service in managing this large transaction and all of its intricacies. Their resourcefulness, combined with their experience, was essential in helping us execute this agreement swiftly and effectively.”
-David Michan, President of Strata Equity Group
- Closed numerous multi-million dollar deals for Strata Equity Group, including a $720-million acquisition of 24 institutional grade multifamily communities comprising 6,294 residential units in the southeastern U.S.; a $665-million acquisition of a 12-property multi-family portfolio in Atlanta, Austin, Denver and Houston; a $302-million acquisition of a 1,731-unit, 11-property multi-family portfolio in Maryland; and an $85-million purchase of a three-property portfolio in the Carolinas.
- Structured and negotiated land acquisition and financing for major casino development project, including formation of LLC and private placement of equity and debt securities, negotiation of senior and subordinated debt facilities and related equity incentive program and tax planning.
- Represented wireless technology corporation in negotiating and structuring issuance of Series A Preferred Stock to publicly-traded foreign corporation and creation of employee stock option plan.
- Structured project-level equity incentive program with use of Delaware “series” LLC for leading national developer of Class A multifamily properties.
- Serving as outside “general counsel” to prominent institutional multifamily housing and commercial property investment companies, including negotiation of limited partnership/LLC agreements, private placements, mortgage financing, tenants in common structuring and related tax planning.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 (Real Estate Law)
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- "2016 Best of the Bar," San Diego Business Journal, April 2016
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013-present
- San Diego County Bar Association – Tax Section Chair
- The State Bar of California – Partnerships and Limited Liability Company Committee Past Member
- LL.M., University of San Diego School of Law, 1993
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 1992
- BA (Economics), University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- "Strata Equity Group Acquires Two Multi-Family Properties in Charleston, SC," Townhall Finance, September 22, 2021.
- Ray Huard. “San Diego Firm Buys Maryland Apartments For $302M,” San Diego Business Journal, April 4, 2018.
- Matthew Guarnaccia. “FCP Offloads Maryland Apartment Portfolio For $302M,” Law 360, April 3, 2018.
- “Strata Equity Group Grows Its East Coast Footprint with Procopio’s Help in $302 Million Deal,” San Diego Daily Transcript, April 10, 2017.
- McIntyre, Andrew. “Procopio, Simpson Thacher Guide Strata-Blackstone Apt. Deal,” Law360, May 6, 2015.
Bob is a frequent speaker regarding recent developments in tax and business planning, and continuing legal education seminars on tax and business issues.
- “CARES Act and New Court Rules Impose Further Restrictions on Evictions,” April 29, 2020.
- “Proposed California Legislation Seeks to Expand Eviction Protections Including Rent Reduction,” April 29, 2020.
- "IRS Grants Much-Anticipated Section 1031 Extensions," April 13, 2020.