Rahul focuses his practice on public agency and charter school governance and regulatory matters. He is dedicated to helping public agencies, charter schools and the organizations that support them by providing counsel in a wide range of areas, including reporting and compliance requirements, governance, formation, board and governance issues, ongoing legal issues related to operations and litigation that may arise.
- Served as lead counsel in interpreting the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and advising the Department’s clients, as well as educational agencies and institutions, parents, students and educational vendors.
- Served as counsel on a team with Department of Justice attorneys that successfully defended the 2011 FERPA regulations.
- Drafted and revised the Department’s policy positions and student privacy guidance, including robust guidance that addressed FERPA’s applicability to online educational products and services.
- Provided technical assistance to state legislatures and US Congress on legislation that impacted student privacy, including the Uninterrupted Scholars Act.
- Analyzed and drafted guidance on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule in order to develop the Department’s positions on issues that implicate student privacy and health.
- Conducted trademark registration and enforcement efforts and represented the Department by drafting filings and leading settlement negotiations before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in obtaining the mark “FAFSA”.
- Provided privacy and intellectual property guidance for initiatives including the White House Healthy Lunchtime Challenge, Gainful Employment program, the World Intellectual Property Organization Marrakesh Treaty, and the Race to the Top Assessment program.
- The State Bar of California
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 2009
- BA (Economics), University of California Irvine, summa cum laude, 2006
- Co-presenter. “Protecting Student Privacy in the Virtual Classroom,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 15, 2021.
- Co-presenter. "Emerging Trends in School Health and Safety - Cops, Courts, SB277 and More," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.