Phillip L. Kossy represents private and public sector employers in discrimination and harassment litigation, wage and hour litigation (class and individual claims), wrongful termination litigation and violence in the workplace matters. Additional areas of emphasis include breach of employment contract, defamation and unfair competition issues. He also counsels employers on a whole range of employment issues including harassment, discrimination, employee discipline and termination, workplace violence, medical issues in the workplace, social media and wage and hour compliance with the goal of claim and litigation avoidance. Mr. Kossy lectures on a variety of these employment issues, as well as on recent legislation and regulations.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- Best Lawyers® 2017 (Labor and Employment Law), San Diego, CA
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2011-Present (Employment Law-Management, Litigation–Labor & Employment)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- "Procopio Awarded Tier 1 Ranking for Employment Law - Management by U.S. News & World Report,” 2014-2016
- San Diego Super Lawyers® 2007-2019 (Employment & Labor)
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorneys 2006 (Labor/Employment)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013-present
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California 2014
- Super Lawyers: Business Edition 2011
- Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel 2010
- American Bar Association – Labor and Employment Section
- San Diego County Bar Association
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, with honors, 1976
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, cum laude, 1973
- “More Women File Claims Over Filner,” NBC San Diego, December 18, 2013.
- Halverstadt, Lisa. “City Likely Liable for Possible Filner Lawsuits,” Voice of San Diego, July 16, 2013.
- Krueger, Paul, “Mayor Hires Lawyer to Fight Allegations,” NBC San Diego, July 15, 2013.
- Stickney, R. “”Numerous’ Women Harassed by Mayor Filner: Former Friends, Allies,” NBC San Diego, July 11, 2013.
- Moderator, expert panel Q&A session, Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2017, San Diego, CA, November 16, 2017.
- Co-presenter. “Temperature Check: The Latest on Paid Sick Leave and Medical Issues in California,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2016, San Diego, CA, November 15, 2016.
- Co-presenter. "Managing the Medical Minefield at Work (Paid Sick Leave, Reasonable Accommodations, Leaves of Absences, and More!)" Procopio Labor & Employment Seminar, San Diego, CA, November 4, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Quirky California Employment Law Rules You May Not Know,” San Diego SHRM, San Diego, CA, March 18, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “The eWorkplace: Avoiding Employer Liability in the Era of Social Media, Electronic Devices and Technological Privacy,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, November 17, 2014.
- Co-presenter. “Hot Topics and Recent Trends in California Employment Law,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, October 29, 2013.
- “The Continuing Challenges of Medical Issues in the Workplace,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, October 30, 2012.
- "What Do Sexual Harassment and Taxes Have in Common?" December 28, 2017.
- Co-author with Lauren N. Vega. "Let’s Talk Dollars and Cents: Making Sense of California’s Fair Pay Act and the EEOC’s Pay Data Proposals," May 17, 2016.