525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Paul A. Tyrell is an experienced trial lawyer who represents clients in high-stakes business disputes and complex litigation involving corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and other fiduciary relationships, contracts, unfair competition, trade secrets, intellectual property, real estate and health care. In addition to his litigation and arbitration practice, Paul is a trusted advisor who works closely with clients to develop a deep understanding of their businesses, projects and goals, allowing him to effectively advise on legal and strategic matters and to efficiently coordinate with the firm's transactional attorneys across multiple practice areas as needed. Paul is frequently consulted by attorneys throughout the firm on issues ranging from contract drafting and negotiation to dispute resolution and avoidance.
- Lead trial counsel in a software copyright infringement and ownership dispute. Jury trial resulted in a complete victory.
- Lead trial attorney in defending a partnership/breach of fiduciary dispute. Jury trial resulted in a complete defense verdict and an award of significant attorneys fees.
- Defended a publicly-traded energy company and its executives against a false claims/qui tam action which sought more than $100M in damages and penalties. Filed and argued pretrial motions which resulted in the dismissal of all claims.
- Lead trial counsel in a copyright infringement and unfair competition action to enforce intellectual property rights associated with a well-known Southern California municipal golf course.
- Lead trial counsel in the defense of a large real estate developer in a dispute involving multiple claims including fraud. After trial, the court denied all of the opposing party’s claims, awarded the developer 95% of the requested damages and ordered the opposing party to pay attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Defended the former mayor of San Diego and other City officials against multiple conflict of interest claims filed by the San Diego City Attorney; obtained complete dismissal of all claims.
- Advised the co-founder and director of a defense contractor in connection with a post-merger lawsuit filed by a dissenting director, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defended a group of professional baseball players against breach of contract claims by removing the case from state court in Kansas. After the federal district court dismissed the case, Mr. Tyrell served as lead appellate counsel and successfully argued the case before the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver, CO, which upheld the district court’s dismissal of the entire action.
- Served as lead trial counsel in the defense of a shopping center’s anchor tenant in a commercial lease dispute resulting in complete defense judgment after trial.
- Represented publicly-traded health care technology company in trade secrets claim against a former employee who started a competing business; obtained favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Served as lead trial counsel in the successful trial of unfair competition claims on behalf of an Internet marketing firm against a principal competitor. After negotiating a favorable pre-trial settlement of the competitor’s claims, continued to trial and obtained judgment for our client on the remaining claims.
- Represented the City of San Diego in litigation between the City and the San Diego Chargers football team relating to the Qualcomm Stadium lease.
- Defended publicly-traded semiconductor company against breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action filed by development partner. Defeated preliminary injunction motion which led to favorable settlement.
- Served as lead arbitration counsel in the defense against a business broker’s claim for six-figure commission on a transaction that never closed. After a multi-day hearing, the arbitrator denied all claims.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a real estate developer against breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Testified before government agencies in connection with client’s redevelopment project and related litigation.
- Obtained settlement before verdict in a jury trial against a multinational software company.
- Prosecuted and defended domain name disputes subject to arbitration under the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 (Commercial Litigation)
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent ® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Top Rated Litigator, American Lawyer Magazine – 2018
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine - 2017-Present
- San Diego Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers® Magazine - 2014-2016, 2019-2021
- San Diego Business Journal "Best of the Bar" – 2015
- The Daily Transcript 's Top Attorney – 2013 (Corporate Litigation)
- San Diego Metropolitan Magazine 's "40 Under Forty"– honor roll
- San Diego Combined Health Agencies' "Volunteer of the Year"
- San Diego County Bar Association's "Bar Star"
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program - Board of Directors - 2019
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers – Vice President
- San Diego Father's Day Council – Chairman and Founder
- American Bar Association
- Other volunteer activities:
- Super Bowls XXXII and XXXVII
- ESPN X-Games
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law (Journal of Law and Politics Managing Board Member)
- BA (Political Science), Johns Hopkins University
- “Fact-Checker Snopes.com Met Its $500,000 Crowdfunding Goal In A Day,” BuzzFeed News, July 24, 2017.
- "29 Procopio Attorneys Named San Diego Super Lawyers®," Legal Netlink Alliance, June 1, 2012.
Paul has presented numerous training classes both in-house and for client legal departments on matters concerning litigation, pre-trial remedies, receivership and alternative dispute resolution.