Lionel “Chip” P. Hernholm Jr. is the head of the firm's family law practice group, counseling clients in family law and litigation. Chip’s practice focuses a special emphasis on the enforcement of pre-marital and post-marital agreements and matters involving complex property characterizations, multi-state and international jurisdiction issues, income attribution relative to child and spousal support, and separate property tracing issues. Read Chip's profile in Modern Luxury San Diego (April 2016).
Chip has an extensive background in family law matters, and has represented clients for 41 years in proceedings throughout California and in Texas, Virginia, Wyoming and New York. Chip has successfully presented appeals on behalf of his clients in California’s Second and Fourth Appellate Districts, has routinely served as a Court appointed Discovery Referee, and been selected by parties as a mediator.
Chip served as an officer in the United States Marine Corps from 1968 to 1972.
- Martindale-Hubbell® Client Distinction Award
- Martindale-Hubbell® 5.0 Peer Review Rating
- Martindale-Hubbell® 5.0 Client Review Rating
- AVVO Top Rated Lawyer - 2017-2019
- "2016 Top Lawyers," San Diego Magazine, March 2016
- "Top Attorneys in San Diego," Los Angeles Magazine, February 2016
- San Diego Super Lawyers® - 2009-2010, 2014-2019 (Family Law)
- The Best Lawyers in America® - 2013-Present (Family Law)
- "Best Lawyers in California," Best Lawyers®, 2016
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California 2014
- JD, California Western School of Law, 1975
- BA, University of Virginia, 1968
- Moderator. "Grappling with Cross-Border Jurisdiction and Inconvenient Forum Issues: ‘What if she’s here, he’s there, the kids are in-between, and the property is all over the place?’ ” March 15, 2017.
- Co-Presenter. "Special Interrogatories and Request for Admissions," Family Law Paralegal Program 2015, California Western School of Law, San Diego, July 29, 2015.
- Presenter. “Family Law Discovery: Doing it Right and Avoiding Sanctions,” San Diego County Bar Association.
- Presenter. “Beyond the Basics: Getting What You Want From Uncooperative Parties,” North County Bar Association.
- Co-Presenter. “Imputing Income: Challenging What You Think You Know [Family],” Family Law Section of the San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, May 29, 2014.
- Co-Presenter. “What Box Does That Go In? Non W-2 Income Available For Support,” San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, December 3, 2011
- Presenter. “The Unity of Strict Law: Treatise analyzing the characteristics of land administration in the Soviet Union and recommendations for reform,” The Queen’s College, Oxford University.