525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Kathleen A. Brown counsels clients in patent, trademark, copyright, domains and trade secret law for a wide range of industries. Kathleen’s practice encompasses worldwide trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings, UDRP domain dispute proceedings, licensing, infringement matters and patent, trademark and copyright litigation and anti-counterfeiting. She has extensive experience in a broad range of sectors including sports-related technology and products, consumer products, healthcare, software, fashion, telecommunications, financial services, food and beverages and transportation systems. Kathleen is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, as well as many federal district and appellate courts.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Managed hundreds of infringement litigation and counterfeit matters worldwide for a consumer product company.
- Represented a surf apparel company accused of trademark infringement and successfully negotiated a settlement that benefited the client.
- Represented a photographer accused of copyright infringement by a post card company and obtained a favorable outcome.
- Represented a large insurance company accused of copyright infringement and successfully negotiated a settlement that avoided millions of dollars of exposure.
- Represented a sculpture company in a copyright infringement action and obtained a favorable stipulated judgment for the client along with damages and an injunction.
- Represented a foreign manufacturing company in a patent infringement action related to a cheese packaging machine and negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented a client making wind chimes accused of trade dress infringement action and prevailed.
- Represented clients on hundreds of matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Intellectual Property Counseling
- Assisted in the development of a worldwide anti-counterfeiting strategy for a consumer product company.
- Counseled hundreds of clients regarding choice of brand names and developing successful brand protection strategies.
- Manage worldwide intellectual property portfolios for international clients.
- Prepared and reviewed license agreements for numerous clients.
- Handled numerous U.S. trademark matters for foreign clients.
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished Rating
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Missionaries of Charity – Pro Bono Copyright Counsel
- Gerson Institute - Board of Directors
- San Diego County Bar Association – Intellectual Property Section
- San Diego Rotary Club – Young Adult Homeless Outreach Committee Co-Chair
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program
- The San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association – Past President
- The State Bar of California – Intellectual Property Section
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law
- BS (Zoology), San Diego State University
- Evans, Jeremy. “Time Out: How we Represent and Play in the Big Leagues,” San Diego Lawyer, July 1, 2013.
- Co-presenter. "Avoid a BIFF; Protect Your IP! The Basics You'll Need from A to Z," SIA Snow Show, Denver, CO, January 27, 2016.
- Co-presenter. “Why, When and How to Develop an IP Strategy Appropriate for Your Business,” SIA Snow Show, Denver, CO, January 31, 2015.
- “Intellectual Property Legal Tips for Doing Business Internationally,” SDSI Chalk Talk, Carlsbad, CA, September 18, 2012.