525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Juan Pablo G. Zaragoza counsels clients on a variety of matters pertaining to international law, private client, tax, trusts, estates and probates. Juan Pablo’s practice focuses on advising domestic and foreign high-net worth individuals and families on various estate planning issues including sales to defective grantor trusts, family limited partnerships and grantor retained annuity trusts. Juan Pablo is also experienced in designing and implementing estate planning strategies for high-net worth clients from Mexico and other countries.
- Designed and implemented estate planning strategies for high-net worth families from Mexico with assets in the US.
- Designed and implemented estate plans for US citizen clients with substantial assets in Mexico.
- Represented a national banking institution that was the trustee of a trust with assets in Spain.
- Represented the trustee of a trust with a beneficiary in Brazil.
- Designed and implemented an estate and asset protection plan for domestic clients with 15 real properties.
- Assisted in the representation of a beneficiary of an estate valued at $250M.
- Assisted in the representation of a client regarding IRS audits of gift and estate tax returns.
- Assisted in the design and implementation of an estate plan for a high-net worth client, including a sale to a defective grantor trust.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 (Trusts and Estates)
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2012-2014 (Estate Planning and Probate)
- San Diego Super Lawyers® Rising Star - 2017 (Estate Planning and Probate)
- Lawyers of Color Hot List – 2014
- AZ Business Magazine – Top Attorneys in Arizona – 2014 (Estate and Trust Litigation)
- Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce – 40 Hispanic Leaders Under 40 – 2009
- Arizona Legislative Latino Caucus Foundation – Cesar E. Chavez Leadership Award – 2008
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners – San Diego Chapter
- Estate Planning Council of San Diego
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- State Bar of California – Trust and Estates Section, International Section
- State Bar of Arizona – Trust and Estates Section, International Section
- LL.M. (Tax), University of Washington School of Law, 2005 (CALI Excellence for the Future Award)
- JD, University of Arizona Rogers College of Law, 2004 (Deans Achievement Award)
- BA, University of Arizona, cum laude, 2001
- “Second Annual Hot List,” Lawyers of Color, September 23, 2014.
- Moderator. “Dual National Beneficiaries of Foreign Trusts. UNI, PFICs and GILTI Tax Treas. Regulations Run Amok,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, November 2, 2018.
- Moderator. “Digital Marketing: Attracting the Hispanic Market,” USD Procopio International Business Summit, San Diego, CA, May 12, 2017.
- Moderator. “The Attorney – Client Privilege in the Global Context,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 21, 2016.
- Moderator. “”Wealth Planners and Family Office Trending Topics,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 20, 2016.
- Moderator. “OECD Update & New Reporting Requirements in Mexico and the U.S. for International Investments (Refripes & Single-Member LLCs),” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 20, 2016.
- Moderator. “The Panama Papers & Cyber Security: Protecting Sensitive Information,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 20, 2016.
- “Defending an International Tax Case Before the IRS and SAT,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 20, 2016.
- “International Estate Planning and Real Estate Investments in the U.S.,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 19, 2016.
- Presenter. "Legal and Tax Considerations for Multinational Families," STEP San Diego, April 20, 2016
- Presenter. “U.S./Mexico: Cross Border Tax and Estate Planning Considerations,” STEP San Diego, February 16, 2016
- Presenter. “Cross Broder Estate & Gift Tax,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 21, 2015
- Moderator. “Canadian Estate Planning Issues and Using Canadian Partnerships in International Transactions,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 31, 2014
- Co-presenter. "Cross Border Estate & Gift Tax," USD Procopio International Tax Institute, October 29, 2014
- “Issues in Cross-Border Estate Planning and Probate,” U.S Mexico Bar Association, Phoenix, AZ, 2013
- “International Estate Planning: Transfer Taxes and Cultural Issues,” Catholic Community Foundation, Phoenix, AZ, 2013
- “Probate,” National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals, Phoenix, AZ, 2012
- “International Estate Planning: A Brief Overview,” Scottsdale Estate Planners, Scottsdale, AZ, 2012