J. Christopher Jaczko is a litigator focusing on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation matters, as well as corporate and complex commercial litigation. Because of his extensive litigation background and his broad experience working with start-up and emerging growth companies and venture capital portfolio companies, Chris also serves in an outside general counsel role for clients in a variety of industries, including sports and entertainment and software technologies. Chris is admitted to practice before all California State Courts, the U.S. District Courts in the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Successfully represented a publicly-traded biotechnology company in patent litigation resulting in a judgment after trial valued in excess of $15M.
- Successfully represented a privately-held company in patent litigation relating to methods used for drug discovery resulting in a judgment after trial valued in excess of $18M.
- Successfully represented a venture capital firm in defending against claims of securities fraud alleging in excess of $50M.
- Successfully represented a venture-backed pharmaceutical company in defending against a $50M breach of contract claim.
- Successfully represented a privately held chemical lab company in patent litigation against an infringer, resulting in a multi-million dollar jury verdict and attorneys fees.
- Successfully represented a natural gas company in a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim involving rights to underground storage leases.
- Represented a real estate investor in a fraud claim and successfully recouped its multi-million dollar investment in a Mexican resort development.
- Successfully represented a commercial manufacturing organization in defense of a multi-million breach of contract claim relating to manufacture of generic drugs to treat cancer.
- Serves as outside general counsel to variety of clients.
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- AmLaw Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2014-2018
- Top Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property, 2013
- 2015 Top Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Times
- American Bar Association
- American Business Trial Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Clifford J. Wallace Chapter – Master
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Trial Lawyers Association
- The State Bar of California – Litigation Section, Intellectual Property Litigation Section
- JD, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1990 (The International Lawyer – Comments Editor, 1989-1990)
- BS, Business Administration (with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems), Arizona State University, 1984
- LaSusa, Mike. “Urine Maker Owes $900K in Atty Fees After Loss In IP Suit,” Law360, November 19, 2019.
- “Verdicts and Settlements: Intellectual Property,” L.A. Daily Journal, April 2019.
- Dani Kass. “Urine Big Trouble: Willfulness, Misconduct Spark $3M IP Loss,” Law360, March 26, 2019.
- “Procopio Elevates Partners,” The Daily Transcript, January 16, 2018.
- Sarah de Crescenzo.“Procopio Ushers in Leadership Changes in New Year,” San Diego Business Journal, January 3, 2018.
- “On the Move,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 5, 2017.