J. Christopher Jaczko is a litigator focusing on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation matters, as well as corporate and complex commercial litigation. Because of his extensive litigation background and his broad experience working with start-up and emerging growth companies and venture capital portfolio companies, Chris also serves in an outside general counsel role for clients in a variety of industries, including sports and entertainment and software technologies. Chris is admitted to practice before all California State Courts, the U.S. District Courts in the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and has litigated cases throughout the United States and before the United States International Trade Commission.
- Successfully represented a privately-held company in patent litigation relating to methods used for drug discovery resulting in a judgment after trial valued in excess of $18M.
- Successfully represented a venture capital firm in defending against claims of securities fraud alleging in excess of $50M.
- Successfully represented a venture-backed pharmaceutical company in defending against a $50M breach of contract claim.
- Successfully represented a privately held chemical lab company in patent litigation against an infringer, resulting in a multi-million dollar jury verdict and attorneys fees.
- Successfully represented a natural gas company in a multi-million-dollar breach of contract claim involving rights to underground storage leases.
- Represented a real estate investor in a fraud claim and successfully recouped its multi-million-dollar investment in a Mexican resort development.
- Successfully represented a commercial manufacturing organization in defense of a multi-million-dollar breach of contract claim relating to manufacture of generic drugs to treat cancer.
- Represented an internet software company in litigation with its former officers who had entered into a conspiracy to misappropriate the client’s trade secrets to unfairly compete and divert business and revenues to themselves. By developing a comprehensive strategy that included regaining control of the company’s systems, terminating the officers’ employment and initiating litigation on the same day, we were able to secure a temporary restraining order and obtain a highly advantageous settlement through which not only did the company regain control over its trade secrets and recover revenues that had been diverted away from it, but it also obtained control over all the assets of the competing business.
- Represented a telemedicine company against a claim that its officers misappropriated trade secrets from their former employer. After successfully opposing a motion for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction was able to obtain plaintiff’s dismissal of its claims with prejudice and to pay a portion of client’s attorney’s fees based on inability to define trade secrets allegedly misappropriated.
- Successfully represented an equipment manufacturer in a case alleging copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets by obtaining early favorable settlement.
- Represented global engineering Fortune 200 company in trial involving trade secret misappropriation claim arising out of designs for hyperscale data centers.
- Represented testing laboratory in developing strategy for investigating and confirming theft of trade secrets by contractor and negotiating favorable settlement, which included return and destruction of misappropriated and derivative information.
Represented manufacturer of medical devices against claim that the company and its founder misappropriated trade secrets from former employer. Successfully obtained dismissal of claims based on claimant’s inability to define trade secrets allegedly misappropriated.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021-present (Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Patent)
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- AmLaw Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2014-present
- Top Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property, 2013
- 2015 Top Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Times
- American Bar Association
- American Business Trial Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Clifford J. Wallace Chapter – Master
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Trial Lawyers Association
- The State Bar of California – Litigation Section, Intellectual Property Litigation Section
- JD, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1990 (The International Lawyer – Comments Editor, 1989-1990)
- BS, Business Administration (with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems), Arizona State University, 1984
- LaSusa, Mike. “Urine Maker Owes $900K in Atty Fees After Loss In IP Suit,” Law360, November 19, 2019.
- “Verdicts and Settlements: Intellectual Property,” L.A. Daily Journal, April 2019.
- Dani Kass. “Urine Big Trouble: Willfulness, Misconduct Spark $3M IP Loss,” Law360, March 26, 2019.
- “Procopio Elevates Partners,” The Daily Transcript, January 16, 2018.
- Sarah de Crescenzo.“Procopio Ushers in Leadership Changes in New Year,” San Diego Business Journal, January 3, 2018.
- “On the Move,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 5, 2017.