Hazel Ocampo G. is a Senior Associate who specializes in federal, state, and local environmental and other regulations. She regularly represents clients subject to enforcement actions by private citizens and governmental agencies, including the Regional Water Quality Control Board, the Department of Environmental Health, the Air Pollution Control District, and the EPA regarding the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, CEQA, the Endangered Species Act, Superfund, RCRA, and Proposition 65. Hazel also counsels clients on a variety of compliance matters, project permitting, renewable energy, and Universal and Hazardous Waste regulations.
Hazel has developed in-depth regulatory and policy experience from her experience working for federal and state government agencies. While working for the White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ), Hazel assisted with the implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). Prior to that, she was selected for the prestigious Executive Fellowship in the Office of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. As an Executive Fellow, she worked for the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA) on water/soil contamination and automotive issues.
- Successfully represented various corporate entities involved in enforcement matters before the Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- Successfully navigated automotive regulations to enable client to establish new operations in various states.
- Acquired federal, state and local permits for a food processing entity to commence operations, including water permits, air permits, land use permits, and CEQA compliance.
- Represented corporate entities involved in Attorney General Investigation for compliance with federal and state Universal and Hazardous Waste regulations.
- Secured permits for the development of renewable energy facilities.
- Counseled corporate entities on compliance with federal regulations of imports, exports, and agricultural products.
- Litigation of Proposition 65.
- Litigation of complex toxic torts.
- Meritas Young Lawyer, Board Member (2017)
- The Daily Transcript’s Young Attorneys Award – Nominee (2012)
- Teaching Assistant, Cornell Law School, Land Use and Natural Resources Clinic (2011)
"Hazel Ocampo is a great lawyer and has the perfect, balanced demeanor for being a pragmatic advisor and zealous advocate. She has strong legal and business acumen, and provides not only sound legal advice but takes into account our business needs and the interests of others impacted by legal decisions. I feel lucky to have such an amazing lawyer representing our company."
Robert Sommers, Senior Counsel, J.M. Huber Corporation
- San Diego Chamber Young Leaders (SDYL) - Board Member
- Association of Women in Water, Energy, and the Environment –Leadership Committee
- La Raza Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of California
- JD, Cornell Law School, (Journal of Law and Public Policy – Editor)
- BA, University of California Los Angeles, (International Development Studies, Minor in Global Studies)
- Jolly, Vik. “SDBJ Insider: Book Offers Advice From a Woman Who’s Been There,” San Diego Business Journal, February 17, 2019.
- Moderator. “Risk vs. Opportunity: Investing in Real Estate,” USD Procopio International Business Summit, San Diego, CA, May 12, 2017.
- Moderator. “Intelligent Control Suites to Manage Energy Storage, Energy Usage and Interactions with the Grid,” Solar + Storage Conference, San Diego, CA, November 19, 2015.
- Contributor, Procopio's Native American Law blog Blogging Circle
- Co-author. "2019 Finds Commercial and Residential Real Estate Owners Under New Laws and Regulations," January 29, 2019.
- Author. “You Have Been Warned: Changes Coming to Proposition 65 Requirements," March 1, 2018.
- Author. "Beware of Illicit Marijuana Grown on Tribal Lands," Blogging Circle, September 24, 2015.
- Author. "Is Obama Ready to Help Thirsty Tribes?" Blogging Circle, December 11, 2014.
- Author. “A New Industrial Storm Water Permit Goes Into Effect on July 1, 2015,” September 2, 2014.