Greg has represented clients involved in the public sector throughout California, including water and sanitation agencies, hospital districts, charter schools, and municipalities for more than 30 years. He advises individuals and businesses on governmental affairs, including legislation, initiatives, ethics, permits and other entitlements.
Greg also serves as general counsel to several successful public self-insurance pools for general liability and workers’ compensation liability, including self-insurance pools in Orange and San Diego Counties.
Much of Greg’s work has focused on the adoption of rates and charges, public financing and intergovernmental relations. His public agency clients include Encina Wastewater Authority, Lakeside Water District and South Orange County Wastewater Authority.
As part of his public agency practice, Greg regularly advises clients on governmental transparency laws, such as the Brown Act, conflict of interest laws, public records, as well as laws regarding compliance with public works projects and prevailing wage laws, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other environmental laws and regulations. In addition, he advises public and private clients on environmental, land use and water law issues that arise in real estate development.
- Advised John Muir Health regarding the proceedings of the Contra Costa County Local Agency Formation Commission to dissolve or reorganize the local healthcare district which transferred its hospital to John Muir Health in 1997.
- Advises Tri-City Healthcare District regarding ongoing operations, focusing on compliance with public agency laws, including the Brown Act, conflict of interest laws and local healthcare district law. Also advises the district on real estate, financing and other matters.
Greg was counsel in litigation resulting in the following published appellate decisions relating to public law:
- American Indian Model Schools v. Oakland Unified School District, 227 Cal.App.4th 258 (2014)
- United Teachers of Los Angeles v. Los Angeles Unified School District, 54 Cal. 4th 504 (2012)
- Los Angeles International Charter High School v. Los Angeles Unified School District, 209 Cal.App.4th 1348 (2012)
- California School Boards Association v. State Board of Education, 191 Cal.App.4th 530 (2010)
- New West Charter Middle School v. Los Angeles Unified School District, 187 Cal.App.4th 831 (2010)
- Knapp v. Palisades Charter High School, 146 Cal. App. 708 (2007)
- Water Quality Association v. City of Escondido, 53 Cal. App.4th 755 (1997)
- Conrad v. Medical Board, 48 Cal.App.4th 1038 (1996)
- Ridgecrest Charter School v. Sierra Sands Unified School District, 130 Cal. App. 4th 986 (2005)
- Gentry v. City of Murrieta, 36 Cal. App. 4th 1359 (1995)
- El Monte v. So Cal Joint Powers, 38 Cal. App. 4th 1629 (1995)
- City of Lafayette v. East Bay Municipal Utility District, 16 Cal. App. 4th 1005 (1993)
- 2019 West Coast Top Rated Lawyers, ALM
- Diversity Award Recipient - 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – 2007-2013 (Government/Cities/Municipalities)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013-present
- Association of California Water Agencies
- California Association of Sanitation Agencies
- California Charter Schools Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- The State Bar of California – Public Law Section
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude, 1981
- BA, Haverford College, 1977
- Montenegro Brown, Richard. “El Centro council hears independent review of transfer agreement,” Imperial Valley Press, May 6, 2015.
- “Procopio Wins Significant Ruling for American Indian Charter Schools,” Procopio Press Release, June 13, 2013
- “Oakland American Indian Charter Schools Granted Reprieve,” KQED News, June 7, 2013.
- “Oakland charter school seeks court order to stay open,” KTVU, June 5, 2013.
- "Q&A With Procopio’s Greg Moser,” Law360, March 21, 2013.
- Co-presenter. “Best Board Meeting Ever: 2021 Virtual Edition," 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- Co-presenter. "Home Offices, CMOs and resource sharing across schools: Workshop," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 28, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "The Best (and Toughest) Board Meeting Ever: 2018 Edition," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics," 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Conflicts of Interest (Beyond the Basics)," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Co-presenter. "The Best Board Meeting Ever: Illustrating Best Practices," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 21, 2017.
- Panelist. “The Best (And Toughest) Board Meeting Ever: Best Practices Illustrated,” The 22nd Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 17, 2015.
- Panelist. “The Worst Board Meeting Ever,” The 22nd Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 17, 2015.
- “Can You Do That with Charter School Money? School Expenses and Pupil Fees,” 21st Annual Charter School Conference, San Jose, CA, March 4-6, 2014.
- “Governance Q&A "Board Member Governance Summit,” 21st Annual Charter School Pre-Conference, San Jose, CA, March 3, 2014.
- “The Aftermath of the Ivy Academia Case,” Procopio and CCSA Webinar, Nationwide, April 19, 2013.
- “Legal Fundamentals of Charter School and Nonprofit Governance,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Making the Parent Empowerment Law Work,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Managing Growth: CMOs, EMOs and their Siblings,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “The Ralph M. Brown Act and Related Statutes,” January 2017.
- “California Charter School Laws and Regulations” January 2018.
- Co-author with Greta A. Proctor. “Charter Schools Boards Live A Double Life: What You Should Know About Financial Oversight of Your School,” 2013 California Charter Schools Financial Management Guide, February 2013.
- “California Supreme Court Rejects Union Attempts to Burden Charter Petition Process,” August 9, 2012.