525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Eric A. Bernsen handles the preparation and prosecution of domestic and international applications for a wide variety of technologies. Eric’s practice focuses on electronics, semiconductors, software, computer networks, communications, wireless power, video coding, and gas turbine engine technology. He also has a broad range of experience in prosecution of applications for technologies involving, medical devices, radar, mechanical engineering, and aerodynamics. Eric manages significant domestic and international intellectual property portfolios for several small and large companies. His clients in the Sports & Active Lifestyle industry benefit from his perspective of their field due to his regular participation in competitive cycling and sailing events.
Eric is also a Commander in the US Navy Reserve and is the Commanding Officer of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron THREE (HSC-3) Squadron Augment Unit. HSC-3 is a fleet helicopter training squadron at Naval Air Station, North Island, in San Diego. Eric served on active duty for over 10 years prior to law school and joining the Navy Reserve.
- Assist in-house counsel and client leadership in development and implementation of comprehensive and strategic plans for global patent protection of core technologies in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Prepared, prosecuted, and obtained significant patents in wireless communication, mesh networking, orbital mechanics, virtual reality, electronics, mechanical systems, and other fields.
- Prepared, filed, and prosecuted accelerated patent application for wireless device positioning system, resulting in a notice of allowance within 60 days of filing the application and grant of the US patent in under three months.
- Handled post grant opposition of client’s European patent in European Patent Office for wireless technologies.
- Plan, develop, and implement intellectual property protection strategies for early- to mid-stage companies, including identifying patentable subject matter, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- Prosecuted reissue patent applications to obtain reissue patent for client including original claims and new claims reading on competitor products.
- Analyzed accused client products in view of competitor-asserted patents, aiding strategic business decisions and market expansion efforts.
- United States Navy Reserve
- Captain, Team Procopio, Padres Pedal the Cause 2015-2019
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors 2013 – 2016
- Entrepreneurs’ Organization of San Diego Veterans Bar Association
- JD, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, magna cum laude, 2012
- BS (Electrical Engineering), United States Naval Academy, cum laude, 1999
- “TJSL Alumni Video Series Episode Four Featuring Eric Bernsen ’12,” Thomas Jefferson School of Law, December 10, 2014.
- "Software is Patent-Eligible, But It's All About the Claims," April 24, 2019
- "How To Protect Your Startup Idea From Day One," YFS Magazine, January 6, 2017.