525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
- Insurance Recovery
- Litigation, Corporate and Commercial
- Appellate Law Services
- Health Care
- Tax, Corporate and Individual
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Education and Charter Schools
Admissions: California ; U.S. District Court, Southern, Central and Northern Districts of California ; U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth and Seventh Circuits ; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
Cecilia O’Connell Miller is the Leader of Procopio's Insurance Recovery practice group. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and pre-litigation counseling with a focus on insurance coverage recovery. She has extensive experience in representing technology, financial services, life sciences, hospitality, multi-media, health care, manufacturing, construction and municipal clients obtaining millions in insurance coverage for first and third party liabilities under a wide range of insurance policies. Ceci’s practice encompasses trial and appellate representation of her clients in arbitrations, state courts and federal courts across the country.
Ceci is a member of Procopio’s COVID-19 Legal Resources Team.
- Represented municipality in prosecution of insurance coverage and bad faith claims resulting in a multi-million dollar settlement mid-trial.
- Obtained on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversal of district court’s judgment denying an insurer’s duty to defend a multi-million dollar underlying Lanham Act litigation.
- Through bad faith litigation, obtained compensatory award and ongoing payment of defense fees and costs in underlying litigation for which health care policyholder’s exposure exceeded $20 million.
- Led team in multimillion dollar settlement and payment of ongoing defense in a series of high-stakes and decades-long litigations for municipal policyholder through bad faith litigation obtaining insurer-funded settlement in excess of $25 million.
- Obtained 100% insurer reimbursement toward settlement of high profile land use litigation and full payment of client’s defense fees and costs.
- Represented local municipality in obtaining full insurer-funded defense of multi-party CERCLA action based on alleged contamination of private lake over decades.
- Obtained insurer contribution toward settlement and defense fees in multiple intellectual property, wrongful death, construction defects employment practices, and products liability litigations through pre-litigation negotiations.
- Reversed denial of coverage under Memorandum of Coverage following appellate presentation before self-insurance joint powers authority.
- Obtained contempt order requiring insurers immediately to pay corporate policyholder $9M in defense costs and prejudgment interest or face incarceration.
- Seminal federal health care fraud prosecution (U.S. v. Weinbaum), including preparation of both expert and percipient witnesses and extensive regulatory analysis.
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorneys – 2013 (Insurance)
- Girls Scouts of San Diego -Troop Co-Leader for Troop #3994
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Notre Dame Academy – Bonjour Committee
- RIMS - The Risk Management Society, San Diego Chapter - Associate Member in international association of risk management professionals
- San Diego County Bar Association – Appellate Court Committee Past Chair, Insurance and Bad Faith Section Past Chair
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth and Seventh Circuits
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Northern and Central Districts of California
- JD, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, summa cum laude, Valedictorian, 2000 (Note & Comment Editor, Catholic University Law Review )
- BA (Political Science, Minor: International Affairs), Boston College, cum laude, 1992
- "San Diego law firm Procopio has launched an Insurance Recovery Practice Group," Times of San Diego, October 19, 2020.
- Sistrunk, Jeff. “Lender Tells 9th Circ. Hartford Must Cover $1.5M Deal,” Law360, June 16, 2020.
- Sistrunk, Jeff. “4 Key insurance Rulings You May Have Missed,” Law360, April 12, 2019.
- Greenwald, Judy. “Hartford loses dispute with mortgage lender policyholder – again,” Business Insurance, March 6, 2019.
- Sistrunk, Jeff. “3 Important Insurance Appeals To Watch In December,” Law 360, November 27, 2018.
- “San Diego Settles Decades–Old Spat Over Border Property,” Daily Journal, November 18, 2015.
- "San Diego Settles Decades-Old, $136M Business Park Dispute," Law 360, November 18, 2015.
- "Q&A With Procopio’s Ceci O'Connell Miller,” Law360, March 20, 2013.
- “Procopio Elects Two Lawyers to Partner,” LawExchange Soundbite, January 29, 2015.
- Moran, Lyle. “Law Briefs,” The Daily Transcript, January 21, 2015.
- “The Daily Transcript congratulates Top Attorneys 2013,” The Daily Transcript, July 31, 2013.
- Ceci is a frequent lecturer and author on insurance coverage issues, including advising clients as to best practices to maximize existing insurance coverage and prospectively managing risk.
- Panelist. “Insurance for COVID-19 Losses—Part Two: You’ve Submitted Your Claim—Now What? Strategies for Maximizing Insurance Coverage,” May 21, 2020.
- Panelist. "Insurance Coverage for COVID-19 Losses—Is There Insurance Coverage Hidden in Your Insurance Portfolio?," March 25, 2020.
- Speaker. “Insurance Law: 2017 Year in Review,” The Insurance/Bad Faith Law Section of the San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, Ca, March 7, 2018.
- “D&O Liability Insurance: Coverages & Current Issues,” Corporate and Insurance Sections of the San Diego County Bar Association, June 23, 2015.
- “The Duty to Settle Construction Defects Claims,” Construction and Insurance Sections of the San Diego County Bar Association, September 23, 2015.
- Co-Author. "Insurance For Covid-19 Losses: Could There Be Coverage Hidden In Your Insurance Policy?," March 17, 2020.