Annie Ellis primarily focuses on litigation, defending on behalf of employers. Most of Annie’s practice involves defense of wage and hour class actions and representative actions and has significant experience implementing aggressive and early defense strategies. Annie also represents employers in single- and multi-plaintiff actions involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, unfair competition, breach of contract, and other employment claims. Annie targets these cases toward successful summary judgment or adjudication. Annie assists employers with agency matters, such as the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Department of Labor, the Employment Development Department, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, OSHA and Cal/OSHA.
In addition to litigation, Annie counsels employers on effective ways to reduce their risk of litigation through policy changes, employee handbook updates and revisions, compliant leaves of absence, workplace investigations, employee trainings, discipline and terminations, employment agreements, arbitration agreements, commission agreements, reductions-in-force, employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and other human resource issues and strategies.
- San Diego Super Lawyers® Rising Stars - 2018-2019 (Employment & Labor)
- “San Diego, Chicago adopt paid sick leave” by Employee Benefit News, July 19, 2016
- "Procopio Awarded Tier 1 Ranking for Employment Law - Management by U.S. News & World Report,” 2014-2016
- San Diego Young Attorneys Nominee by San Diego Daily Transcript, 2014
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers- LDC, Co-Chair 2018
- La Jolla Playhouse, Board of Trustees
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law (San Diego Law Review – Editor-in-Chief)
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- Instructor: “Responding to Negative Employee Comments on the Web,” Lorman, June 21, 2019.
- Speaker. “Learn How to Avoid a Lawsuit,” Lunch & Learn, San Diego, CA, April 24, 2019.
- Instructor: “Mandatory Employee Breaks: What to Do When Employees Are Not Taking Their Breaks,” Lorman, February 1, 2019.
- Co-presenter. “#Times Up: Managing and Minimizing Liability in the #MeToo Era,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2018, San Diego, CA, November 8, 2018.
- Speaker. “Deciphering the Dynamex Decision - How Will It Affect Your Business and Independent Contractors?” Breakfast Bytes, San Diego, CA, September 18, 2018.
- “Does Prop 64 Change Employment Law in CA?” San Diego, CA, April 20, 2018.
- Instructor. “Job Postings and Notifications: What Are Your Liabilities?” Lorman, November 17, 2017.
- Co-presenter. “Navigating Transgender Rights, Marijuana Legalization, and Electronic Issues in California,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2017, San Diego, CA, November 16, 2017.
- Co-presenter. “Temperature Check: The Latest on Paid Sick Leave and Medical Issues in California,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2016, San Diego, CA, November 15, 2016.
- Co-presenter. "Let's Get Real: Practical Solutions for Complicated Wage & Hour Issues," Procopio Labor and Employment Breakfast Bytes, San Diego, CA, May 19, 2016.
- Co-presenter. "Managing the Medical Minefield at Work (Paid Sick Leave, Reasonable Accommodations, Leaves of Absences, and More!)" Procopio’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2015, San Diego, CA, November 4, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Quirky California Employment Law Rules You May Not Know,” San Diego SHRM, San Diego, CA, March 18, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “The eWorkplace: Avoiding Employer Liability in the Era of Social Media, Electronic Devices and Technological Privacy,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, November 17, 2014.
- Co-presenter. “Hot Topics and Recent Trends in California Employment Law,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, October 29, 2013.
- “Sex, Lies & Social Media: Navigating the Cyber Highway,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Wage & Hour Issues: Charter Schools Cannot Follow District Policies,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- Co-author. “The New "ABC" Test for Independent Contractors Spells Serious Trouble for California Businesses,” May 2, 2018.
- Author. “Recreational Marijuana Use Is Now Legal in California: How Does that Impact Employers?” January 29, 2018.
- Author. "Effective TODAY! Revised San Diego Minimum Wage and Paid Sick Leave Ordinance," September 2, 2016.
- Author. "San Diego Minimum Wage and Paid Sick Leave Ordinance Effective July 11: Employers Need to Act Quickly!" July 12, 2016.
- Author. "Sick of Sick Leave? Employers in City of San Diego Now Subjected to New and Confusing Paid Sick Leave Requirements," June 28, 2016.
- Co-author with Wendy L. Tucker. "Don't Be Fooled! Employers Need to Update Their Policies and Practices by April 1!" March 23, 2016.
- Co-author with Marie Burke Kenny. “Is Your Company Ready? California’s Minimum Wage Increases Today!” July 1, 2014.
- Co-author with Marie Burke Kenny. “California's Stepped Increase in Minimum Wage Affects More Than Just Nonexempt Employees,” October 15, 2013.
- “California Employers Must Comply with New, Confusing, and Stricter Pregnancy Disability Leave Regulations,” February 12, 2013.