525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Adriana R. Ochoa advises public agencies and charter schools on issues relating to governance, the Ralph M. Brown Act, California Public Records Act, the Political Reform Act, Government Code 1090, the California Voting Rights Act, Proposition 218, public works contracting, operational and business matters, as well as litigation. Adriana regularly advises joint powers authorities formed to acquire, construct and manage wastewater treatment facilities, and operate water recycling and other resource recovery programs. She has experience advising, creating and implementing new sewer and sanitation districts, and advises existing districts on spheres of influence, consolidation and boundary changes, and other LAFCO issues. Adriana’s charter school practice focuses on advising charter schools on renewals, revocations, facilities, student privacy issues, procurements, conflicts of interest, school safety and workplace restraining orders, student dismissals and expulsions, and contract issues. She is experienced in handling litigation matters including construction litigation, contract disputes, Brown Act litigation, Proposition 39 litigation, eminent domain litigation for both public agencies and private property owners, and administrative hearings for public agencies. She also represents private clients such as developers, contractors, and companies in issues relating to government contracts, construction, contracting and litigation matters.
- Eugene G. Plantier et al. v. Ramona Municipal Water District, 7 Cal.5th 372 (2019)
- American Indian Model Schools v. Oakland Unified School District, 227 Cal.App.4th 258 (2014)
- Awarded Casa Cornelia Pro Bono Publico Award - 2013
- LEAD San Diego – Class of 2013
- San Diego Super Lawyers® Rising Stars - 2015-2021 (Education Law)
- The State Bar of California’s Wiley W. Manuel Award – 2012 (Pro Bono)
- The California Association of Sanitation Agencies Attorneys Committee Vice-Chair, 2018-2020
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- American Bar Association
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association Scholarship Fund – Board of Directors President (2014-2017)
- San Diego Lawyer’s Club
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 2007
- Studied, USD Center for Comparative Studies, Mexico City, Mexico, 2005
- BA (International Relations and a minor in Italian), Stanford University, 2004
- Studied, Stanford in Florence, Florence, Italy, 2002
- York, Tom. "Six Attorneys From San Diego Law Firm Procopio Elevated to Partner Status," Times of San Diego, January 11, 2021.
- “Procopio Associate Heads Scholarship Fund,” San Diego Metro Magazine, January 14, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Creating an Anti-Racist Workplace While Preventing Employment Liability,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 19, 2021.
- Co-presenter. “Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics,” 2021 California Charter Schools Virtual Conference, March 18, 2021.
- Presenter. “Tips for Fostering Anti-Racist Work Environment at Public Agencies & Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession,” California Association of Sanitation Agencies Attorneys’ Committee, February 5, 2021.
- Co-presenter. "Tips for Building an Anti-Racist Workplace While Preventing Employment Liability in the Age of #BlackLivesMatter," June 23, 2020.
- Co-presenter. "Conflicts of Interest: Beyond the Basics," The 25th Annual California Charter Schools (CCSA) Conference, San Diego, CA, March 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter. "Conflicts of Interest (Beyond the Basics)," The 24th Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 22, 2017.
- Panelist. “Survival 101: Successful Renewal Strategies and How to Handle Revocation,” The 22nd Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 18, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Running Your School in the Public Eye: Brown Act Basics and Public Records,” The 22nd Annual California Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 17, 2015.