Adrian focuses his practice on advising and representing clients in litigation matters, including civil litigation and family law disputes, with an emphasis in cross-border litigation.
Adrian represents clients, domestic and foreign, in litigation arising out of manifold business relationships, including partnerships and other fiduciary relationships. He also counsels individuals and companies in disputes involving business torts, contractual disputes, enforcement of foreign money judgments, as well as conducting discovery for cases pending abroad.
In family disputes, Adrian represents clients in actions for termination of marital status, custody, support, and enforcement of foreign custody orders. Because of his background as an attorney schooled and licensed in Mexico, he represents clients in disputes related to the enforcement of the separate property regime (in Spanish, “regimen de separación de bienes”). He also represents clients in negotiating and entering into prenuptial agreements.
Adrian advises and represents clients in connection with jurisdictional and forum non conveniens complex issues, in both family and civil disputes. In several cross-border and international disputes, he obtained dismissal and/or stay court orders for his clients, who were being sued in California. Attorneys outside of California frequently consult with him on jurisdictional issues, in the eve of and during litigation.
Federal government offices, as well as private practitioners, have retained Adrian to serve as an expert witness on issues pertaining to Mexico civil law. And Adrian regularly collaborates with counsel in other states and countries to prepare for and engage in cross-border and multi-jurisdictional controversies.
He is a legal consultant for the Mexican Consulates in San Diego, and Calexico, since 2008.
Prior to joining Procopio, Adrian was a partner at Branton & Wilson, APC and a member of their cross border litigation practice. In addition, Adrian served as a consular officer at the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego, in charge of the civil rights, juvenile migrants and letter rogatory areas. In Mexico, Adrian practiced at the office of attorney Eduardo Martinez Uriquidi, Notario Publico No. 56 in Mexico City, where he was primarily involved in various corporate and real estate transactions.
- Represented Mexican produce grower and U.S. produce distributor in alleged partnership dispute with California resident. (2019)
- Represented foreign manufacturer in multi-million distributorship dispute with U.S.-based distributor. (2017 thru 2019)
- Represented foreign investor in multi-million real estate/business dispute in Beverly Hills. (2015 thru 2018; two matters)
- Represented Israeli citizen in registration and enforcement of foreign support orders.
- Represented Spanish citizen in multi-jurisdictional dissolution proceedings.
- Represented U.S. citizen in enforcement of contract for real estate in Mexico.
- Advise and represent clients in cohabitation agreements under the laws of California.
- Represented Latin American CEO to dismiss an action for child custody and support, filed in California.
- Represented European businessperson to dismiss an action for divorce, support and division of property, filed in California
- Represented residents and nonresidents to enforce separate property regime marriage (regimen de separacion de bienes).
- Defended nonresident plastic surgeon in medical malpractice claim.
- Represented nonresident to enforce foreign child custody orders.
- Defended resident in fraudulent transfer action by nonresident former spouse.
- Prosecuted multi-million dollar fraud-claim for large Mexican energy company.
- Defended nonresident executive against tort claims brought by Latin American multimedia conglomerate.
- Represented resident in breach of contract action against Mexico-based time-share company.
- Represented nonresident in prosecution of multi-million dollar claim against business partners.
- Represented nonresidents in wrongful death and serious injuries claims.
- Defended prominent nonresident architect in breach of contract action.
- Represented multiple nonresidents in the negotiation and preparation of prenuptial agreements.
- Represented California architecture firm to wind-up its operations in Mexico.
- Advised US construction company in cross-border commercial litigation with foreign subcontractor.
- Served as expert witness on Mexican law for US Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles, and San Diego Federal Defender’s Office.
Conceptos legales básicos de Estados Unidos sobre la Práctica Familiar (Acuerdos Pre-nupciales, Post-nupciales, Divorcios, Custodia de hijos y otros temas Familiares):
- Coach, Nazareth School’s Junior Varsity Flag Football Team, San Diego, California, 2019.
- Adjunct Professor at California Western School of Law’s “Maestria en Litigio Oral (Spanish-Language LL.M)”, San Diego, California, 2014 to date.
- LL.D., Universidad Anahuac del Sur, first class honors, 2000
- “Procopio Elevates Partners,” The Daily Transcript, January 16, 2018.
- “Adrian Martinez: Reaching his American Dream,” La Prensa San Diego, October 14, 2016.
- Adrian was a frequent guest speaker at Univision and addresses various topics of interest to the community. He has also been a regular guest speaker on Ricardo Vela’s radio program, “Voices of San Diego,” aired by Radio Hispana 1470 AM.
- Speaker, “Recomendaciones Prácticas en Asuntos Civiles Transfronterizos,” Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa (ANADE), virtual, October 22, 2020.
- Panelist, "8th annual Latin American Conference of the International Innocence Project," virtual, Oct. 9, 2020.
- Panelist, “Estratégias para Iniciar Tu Operación en Estados Unidos,” Calidad Suprema México, webinar, September 18, 2020.
- Panelist, “Domestication and Enforcement of Foreign Child and Spousal Support Orders in California,” two-part webinar, August 26, 2020.
- Panelist, “The Unforeseen Perils of Attempting to Enforce a Foreign Judgment,” The U.S.-Mexico Bar Association’s 25th Annual Conference, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, October 24, 2019.
- Presenter, “Prevención de Conflictos en la Relación Médico - Paciente,” 1er Foro y Expo // Medical+Health 2019, Tijuana, Baja California, June 4, 2019.
- Panelist, “How to Obtain Mexican Jurisdiction Over a Child in the California Dependency System through the UCCJEA,” California Appellate Defense Counsel, San Diego, California, July 2018.
- Panelist, “Liquidación del Patrimonio Familiar – La Experiencia Binacional,” Fiscalistica 2018, Guadalajara, Jalisco, February 2018.
- Panelist, “Grappling with Cross-Border Jurisdiction and Inconvenient Forum Issues: What if she’s here, he’s there, the kids are in-between, and the property is all over the place?” Procopio, San Diego, California, March 2017.
- Panelist, “How to Obtain Mexican Jurisdiction Over a Child in the California Dependency System through the UCCJEA,” California Appellate Defense Counsel, San Diego, California, March 2017.
- Panelist, “La Responsabilidad de Empresarios y Administradores ante una Gestión Inadecuada de las Empresas, tanto en México como en U.S.A,” Fiscalistica 2017, Guadalajara, Jalisco, February 2017.
- Speaker, “Análisis Comparativo de las Principales Diferencias Legales Procesales entre México y en Estados Unidos de América,” Colegio de Contadores Públicos de Guadalajara Jalisco, A.C., Guadalajara, Jalisco, June 2016.
- Panelist, “Mexico’s Legal Developments Piercing the Corporate Veil for Tax Purposes,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, San Diego, California, October 2015.
- Speaker, “International Divorces and Disputes,” XVI Jornada Fiscal Regional del Noroeste, Culiacán, Sinaloa, September 2015.
- Speaker, “International Contracts,” Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Públicos, Culiacán, Sinaloa, May 2015.
- Speaker, “Cross Border Disputes," Magno Congreso – Fiscalistica 2015, Guadalajara, Jalisco, March 2015.
- Panelist, “Tax Implications of Cross Border Marital Disputes,” USD Procopio International Tax Institute, San Diego, California, October 2014.
- “Consideraciones Legales Contenciosas en los EE.UU.,” Instituto de Contadores Públicos de Nuevo León, A.C. May 2014.
- “Consideraciones Legales Contenciosas en los EE.UU.,” 3er Congreso de Fiscalidad Internacional, Mexicali, Baja California, March 2014.
- Speaker, “Mexican prenuptial agreements as an Estate Planning mechanism,” Club Rotario, Tijuana, Baja California, September 2012.
- “Mexican Professional Offering Services to California Customers May Face Unexpected Legal Risks,” November 16, 2020.
- "La Responsabilidad De Profesionistas Mexicanos en EEUU," Consejero Empresarial, March 2016.
- "Los Riesgos Ocultos de la Promoción de Servicios Profesionales en el Extranjero: ¿Me Pueden Demandar en California si Ejerzo mi Profesión Exclusivamente en México?" May 2011.
- "’Los Efectos Legales del Caso Fernandez’: Un Breve Análisis Sobre la Validez en California de las Capitulaciones Matrimoniales y los Matrimonios Bajo el Régimen de Separación de Bienes Celebrados en México,” February 2011.