Procopio Expands Insurance Recovery Services with New Practice Group
October 14, 2020 (San Diego): As one of only a few AmLaw 200 firms with attorneys specializing in insurance policyholder representation and advocacy, Procopio has launched a formal Insurance Recovery Practice Group featuring seasoned attorneys responsible for significant client victories.
Led by Partner Cecilia O'Connell Miller, the group seeks to resolve coverage disputes without litigation, but has the expertise, grit and experience to litigate through trial and appeal when needed. Our Insurance Recovery attorneys have resolved numerous contentious claims, many of which were deemed unresolvable, through mediation and arbitration. Our attorneys have recovered in excess of $100 million of insurance benefits for our clients including defense fees, settlement monies and bad faith damages.
Here is a summary of a few recent successes:
- Luxury Lodge - Additional Fire Coverage: Obtained additional $5.6 million (Canadian dollars) in insurance benefits without filing a lawsuit for luxury lodge owner following a catastrophic fire, after initially receiving $2.1 million CAD, an amount considered the policy limit but insufficient to cover the loss.
- Online Info Site - Professional Liability Coverage: Negotiated a substantial six figure recovery under a professional liability policy for media claims the carrier argued were excluded from coverage, ultimately allowing the client to recoup its fees and costs incurred in Procopio’s successful defense of those claims.
- Tech Manufacturer - Buyer Side Coverage: Negotiated high six-figure recovery on a buyer-side representations and warranties insurance policy arising out of an asset purchase agreement of which only portions were included within the scope of insurance coverage, with the insurer-funded contribution critical in contentious arbitration.
- Sports Apparel - Sports Adjudication: Obtained summary adjudication on insurer’s duty to defend client in underlying trademark infringement suit after carrier had denied coverage and refused to meaningfully negotiate for over two years, with insurer now required to cover fees and costs of trademark suit defense.
Here is our team providing the latest legal insights:
- "Insurance for COVID-19 Losses: Could There Be Coverage Hidden in Your Policy?" By Cecilia O. Miller, Ryan Caplan and Alexandra "Sasha" Selfridge. Read the article and watch the webinar recording.
- "Insurance for COVID-19 Losses: You've Submitted Your Claim, Now What? Strategies for Maximizing Insurance Coverage." By Cecilia O. Miller, Ryan Caplan and Alexandra "Sasha" Selfridge. Watch the webinar recording.
- "Proposed California Legislation Promising for Business Insurance Policy Owners Dealing With COVID-19." By Alexandra "Sasha" Selfridge. Read the article.
And here is a word from a client.
“Procopio’s Insurance Recovery Group really came through for us by ensuring we received critical insurance monies, far more than our insurer was inclined to provide. The funds they secured proved critical in resolving a contentious asset purchase and resulting arbitration. Cecilia Miller and Sasha Selfridge fought to secure the insurance monies despite strong resistance from the insurer. I have great confidence in Procopio and its attorneys to understand complex insurance issues and secure successful resolutions for our company.”
-- Charles Padgett, Chief Financial Officer, Neology
You can learn more about our Insurance Recovery practice group on our website.
Procopio is an AmLaw 200 full-service business and litigation law firm committed to thoughtful problem solving and improving your bottom line. With 175+ attorneys based in San Diego, Del Mar Heights, Silicon Valley, Orange County, Las Vegas and Phoenix, we’re passionate about knowing your business and helping you grow and protect it for the long term. Procopio has the flexible infrastructure to support both small to mid-sized companies and large multinationals at every stage of the business life cycle. Our global reach across Asia, Latin America and Europe further expands our international partnerships and cross border capabilities. At Procopio, we are focused on what is important to you–providing smart, innovative and practical solutions in a cost-effective manner to help your business thrive. Learn more at Procopio.com.
Media Contact: Patrick Ross
Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications