Marie is the Leader of the Firm’s Labor and Employment practice group. In 2015, she was named one of the Top 100 Women Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal and was recognized in the 2013-2016 editions of Southern California Super Lawyers in the category of employment law. Marie represents employers in wage and hour class actions and litigation involving, wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation and unfair competition claims. Marie believes that it is critically important to tailor the defense strategy to achieve the best litigation and business outcomes for her clients.
Marie also has extensive experience counseling employers regarding all aspects of the employment relationship, including performance management, termination, contracts, workplace investigations, medical issues, leaves of absence, wage and hour audits, compensation review, workplace training and employment policies and practices. She works with employers to develop strategies to prevent employment claims and create effective defenses to litigation.
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – 2013-2017 (Employment & Labor)
- “Top Women Lawyers,” Daily Journal, May 12, 2015
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California 2014.
- "Procopio Awarded Tier 1 Ranking for Employment Law - Management by U.S. News & World Report,” 2014-2016
- YWCA Tribute to Women & Industry Award – 2011
- San Diego Metropolitan Magazine “40 under 40” – 2009
- San Diego Business Journal “Women Who Mean Business” Award Finalist – 2004
- American Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section
- National Conflict Resolution Center – Board of Directors (2002-2006)
- San Diego County Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section
- The State Bar of California – Labor and Employment Law Section
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, cum laude, 1995
- BS (Legal Studies), John Jay College of Criminal Justice, summa cum laude, 1991
- "Procopio Elects Employment Partner to its Management Committee," The Daily Transcript, March 20, 2017.
- “Procopio Partners Elect Marie Burke Kenny to its Management Committee,” Procopio, March 2, 2017.
- Coe, Erin. “Pay Stub Claims Give Calif. Employers New Headaches,” Law360, August 3, 2015.
- Allen, Mike. “TIG to Get $1M in Lawsuit Settlement With Former Employees, Co.,” San Diego Business Journal, October 21, 2013.
- “Q&A With Procopio’s Marie Kenny,” Law360, March 18, 2013.
- Chutchian, Maria. “Calif. Resort Beats Time-Share Owners’ Class Cert. Bid,” Law 360, July 16, 2012.
- “Wage and Hour Forecast: Stormy Weather Ahead for California Employers 2017,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar 2016, San Diego, CA, November 15, 2016.
- Co-presenter. "Let's Get Real: Practical Solutions for Complicated Wage & Hour Issues," Procopio Labor and Employment Breakfast Bytes, San Diego, CA, May 19, 2016.
- Co-presenter. “U.S. Immigration and Employment Considerations,” USD Procopio International Business Summit, San Diego, CA, March 18, 2016.
- Co-presenter. "Preventing Wage and Hour Liability in California," Procopio’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2015, San Diego, CA, November 4, 2015.
- Co-presenter. "Paid Sick Leave Redux: Compliance Issues for July 1, 2015 and Beyond," Procopio Labor and Employment Breakfast Bytes, San Diego, CA, May 21, 2015.
- Co-presenter. “Handling Paid Sick Leave and Vacation Issues in California,” Procopio Labor and Employment Breakfast Bytes, February 19, 2015.
- “Wage and Hour Update for California Employers,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, November 17, 2014.
- “What You Need to Know About PAGA Claims,” San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA, December 10, 2013.
- "Preventing Wage and Hour Liability in California,” Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego, CA, November 20, 2013.
- “Bullying and Other Bad Behavior in the Workplace,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, La Jolla, CA, October 29, 2013.
- “Panel Discussion: Private Attorney General Act,” JAMS San Diego Resolution Center, San Diego, CA, June 18, 2013.
Marie regularly conducts workplace trainings for employers and speaks publicly on a wide variety of employment law issues. She has lectured or made presentations to the following organizations:
- State Bar of California Labor & Employment Section
- San Diego Employer Advisory Council
- Society for Human Resource Management
- San Diego County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Employer Resources Institute
- California Continuing Education of the Bar
- International Public Management Association for Human Resources
- Association of Legal Administrators
- North County Personnel Association
- Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce
- Lorman Education Services
- The Council on Education Management
- Co-author with Lauren Vega. “The Good, the bad and the ugly of new sick leave guidance,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 8, 2016.
- "December 1, 2016 Deadline Defunct: Federal Judge Blocks U.S. Department of Labor Exempt Salary Increase," November 23, 2016.