Energy and Environment
Procopio recognizes the global movement of the private and public sector toward clean and sustainable practices related to protection, production and use of natural resources such as water and energy. We appreciate the challenges and diverse needs of our clients operating in these sectors and through a team-oriented approach, our Energy and Environmental practice group provides cost effective comprehensive solutions to those needs. We are actively involved in leading industry organizations that support sustainable policies. We have founded industry renowned programs, including the Procopio Environmental Breakfast Club and Climate Club Dinner, both of which serve prominent business, public, technical and policy leaders regarding energy and environment issues. Our commitment is real and tangible.
We’ve assembled a team of lawyers who bring professional insight and specialized knowledge and experience to provide collaborative legal services to the following energy and environment sectors:
- Air quality compliance and emissions
- Climate and sustainability planning
- Renewable energy and efficiency technologies
- Battery, fuel cell and other energy storage and delivery systems
- Solar, wind, biomass, geothermal and other renewable power systems
- Water and conservation technologies
- Bond counsel to public and private projects
- Software for energy management systems
- Materials science and technology innovations
- Detection, monitoring, reduction of and credit for greenhouse gas emissions
- Green tax and renewable energy credits and other incentive programs
- Universal and hazardous waste counseling
- Organizing and advising private equity funds and hedge funds that invest in renewable energy projects and technologies
- Strategic join ventures and acquisitions in the clean tech, energy, water, environmental and resource sectors
Clean Technologies and Renewable Energy
Energy supply and demand is increasingly important to national, state and local policies and legislative programs, thus affecting business interests. We work on the most innovative renewable energy and resource efficiency technologies and projects including wind, solar, geothermal, electric motors, alternative fuels, carbon emissions reduction, including carbon sequestration, energy demand and efficiency, monitoring storm water, subsurface and groundwater rights and water capture and reuse.
We recognize the significant economic and human resource challenges associated with energy consumption, as well as the opportunity for clean technology and renewable energy companies to solve them. To maintain a competitive advantage, we assist our clients in various stages of development and operations:
- Obtaining financing through venture capital, private equity and governmental sources
- Securing necessary operating licenses and permits, land use entitlements and lease negotiations
- Developing corporate governance and securities reporting requirements
- Protecting intellectual property and innovative technology
- Taking advantage of tax credits, deductions and other incentives
- Advising on existing and proposed legislation and regulations
Climate and Sustainability
Sustainability and environmentally-friendly practices are a requirement for public entities, businesses and individuals alike. As concerns about global energy supply and climate change impacts increase, those who adopt these practices will be able to take advantage of new opportunities.
In addition to project financing and development services, we help our clients better understand the intricacies of emerging environmental statutory and regulatory requirements including air permitting, carbon programs, SEC disclosure obligations and compliance with California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), CPUC and CEC regulatory matters.
We advise clients in obtaining energy tax credits and other incentives, conducting environmental due diligence, procuring insurance for climate change risks and exposure, obtaining project permitting and securing LEED-certification for sustainable buildings. We also handle litigation needs for all areas referenced above.
We continually track developments in the federal and state legislative arenas in order to advise clients on the implementation of these initiatives and provide practical information on regulatory developments.
Through our corporate partnership with Scripps Institution of Oceanography, we have a special appreciation for the science of climate change and this knowledge helps us better understand your business needs.
- Water. We represent cutting-edge water technology companies, water authorities, water districts, sanitation agencies, construction, industrial and municipal storm water interests and businesses that hold water rights, licenses and reuse program. We can assist in the production management, treatment, acquisition, retention and reuse of water and water rights throughout California, Texas and Mexico.
- Emissions. We provide counsel around the detection, monitoring, reduction of and credit for greenhouse gas emissions.
- Financing. We advise private equity funds and hedge funds that invest in renewable energy projects and technologies.