Bill’s practice emphasizes venture capital, angel financing, seed capital and the financing, governing, operating, buying, selling and merging (M&A) of growing technology and other businesses. His practice further encompasses corporate and business transactions, including matters relating to telecommunications, electronic commerce, energy, clean technology, life sciences, corporate governance, franchising, employment and independent contractor issues, intellectual property protection, competitive business practices, securities and business structuring and financing. Bill also has significant experience in handling M&A, contractual and political issues involving telecommunications companies and independent power producers.
In 1981, Bill served as a US Supreme Court Judicial Intern. Bill, a Stanford alumnus, frequently spends time in our Silicon Valley office, which aids in our ability to assist our clients in raising venture and angel capital.
Venture Capital, Angel Capital & Securities
- Represented a venture capital fund in funding a telecommunications company.
- Represented the founders of a telecom company in a private sale of stock to venture funds.
- Represented a wireless health company in raising convertible debt from angel investors.
- Assisted a venture capital fund in cashing out its investments in several biotech companies.
- Drafted/reviewed stock purchase agreements, restated certificates of incorporation, registration rights agreements, co-sale agreements and other venture capital documents for numerous venture capital financings for biotech, telecom and other companies.
- Represented a venture capital company investing in an emerging telecom company.
- Represented the lender in a convertible debt and warrants transaction with a diagnostics company.
- Represented a wireless Internet service company in raising angel and venture capital.
- Assisted a working group conducting an IPO for a telecom services company.
- Represented two Series B venture capital investors during the Series C round of financing for a fabless semiconductor company focused on the imaging market for mobile communications devices.
- Represented a medical software company in raising venture capital.
- Represented a cosmeceutical company in raising seed capital and embarking on its Series A round.
- Drafted a buy-sell agreement for an electrical contractor.
- Represented the majority shareholders of a retailer in forcing the buy-out of a minority shareholder.
- Counseled a corporate general partner regarding the corporate opportunity doctrine and its duties to limited partners.
- Counseled a corporation regarding director conflict-of-interest issues.
- Advised a venture capitalist regarding potential liabilities as a director and advisor.
- Assisted a telecom company in recruiting a Board of Advisors.
- Advised a limited partnership and its corporate general partner how to address allegations of a director's conflict of interest.
- Assisted a medical software company in negotiating the departure of disgruntled founder and ex-officers.
- Represented an independent power producer in negotiating various contracts.
- Represented a telecommunications services company in negotiating Master Service Agreements involving site acquisition, engineering, and other services.
- Represented an integrated circuit design company in drafting its Master Services Agreement.
- Represented a Japanese-owned maquiladora in a contract dispute with a Mexican independent contractor.
- Advised a franchisor in negotiations with disgruntled franchisees.
- Assisted a franchisee in rescinding a franchise agreement.
- Advised a number of ex-CEOs of life sciences and telecom companies in negotiating severance packages.
- Structured agreements for a broadband fixed wireless carrier.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Intellectual Property & Competitive Business Practices
- Represented a precision components manufacturing company in its sale to a larger company.
- Represented an Internet retailing company in an electronic commerce joint venture.
- Represented the buyer in the merger/acquisition of a wireless engineering company.
- Represented the seller in the sale of a metallurgical services company to a subsidiary of a large British corporation.
- Represented the seller in the sale of an electrical contracting company.
- Represented the seller in the sale of an engineering company.
- Represented the seller in the sale of a regulatory compliance company to a NYSE-traded public company.
- Advised a biotech company regarding its NDA.
- Advised a software company concerning protection of its intellectual property upon the departure of a key employee.
- Advised a departing CEO on how to compete properly with his former company.
- Advised distributors in a dispute with their supplier.
- Advised a venture capital company regarding trademark issues.
- Assisted a catering company in a brand licensing transaction and joint venture.
- Counseled a company whose newly hired VP-sales had expropriated his previous employer's client list.
- Represented an independent power producer in forcing a major investor-owned utility to buy out its power purchase agreement.
- Assisted a wireless service company with municipal land use authorities and other government officials to facilitate the build-out and deployment of a wireless Internet network.
- Lobbied government and labor officials to assist a co-generation venture.
- Assisted a telecom services company in contracting with governmental entities.