Thomas W. Turner, Jr., is the leader of the firm’s Real Estate and Environmental Team. He represents clients on business matters related to commercial real estate transactions including multi-family, industrial, technology, healthcare, retail, resort and mixed-use projects. Tom’s practice focuses on acquisition, disposition and exchange of extensive income property of all types and assisting in the planning and development of a wide range of commercial projects. Tom also has extensive experience on commercial leasing matters, from both the perspective of the landlord and tenants, for healthcare facilities, medical office buildings, high tech, biotech and biomedical.
- Represented the City of Chula Vista in the acquisition from the U.S. Olympic Committee of the Olympic Training Center, and extensive related operational and leasing matters.
- Tenant lease representation for scores of major technology clients.
- Representation of owners in transfer of multiple automobile dealerships.
- Representation of developer in the acquisition and redevelopment of mixed-use hospital project.
- Handling of purchase/sale and financing of major golf/tennis resort.
- Major leasing work for the owner of San Diego's largest Class A office building.
- Hundreds of leases for national office/industrial owners.
- Completed sale of local hotel for rebranding by national chain.
"We can always count on Tom Turner, our Procopio real estate lawyer, to bring to the table solid legal expertise, exceptional responsiveness and a pragmatic problem solving capability. What truly sets him apart is his remarkably effective interpersonal communication skills - a certain “cordial and professional style” - that brings about cooperation from the folks on the other side of the table and gets deals done. That combination has resulted in scores of successful real estate transactions for our company." -Marc Wolfsheimer, President, Wolfsheimer Management Corp.
“Whether it’s land use, acquisition, leasing, JV’s or finance, the Procopio Real Estate team continues to knock it out of the park for us, deal after deal. The combination of deep legal expertise and pragmatic problem solving gives them a well-earned spot as our trusted partners.” -Doug Arthur, President & CEO, SENTRE, Inc
- San Diego Business Journal, "Top 500 Business Leaders," 2016
- Best Lawyers®, 2017 (Real Estate Law), San Diego, CA
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2014-2018 (Real Estate Law)
- "Top Lawyers," San Diego Magazine, 2014-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Business Journal 2016 Most Admired CEO's - Finalist
- "San Diego Super Lawyers®," Super Lawyers Magazine - 2007-2017 (Real Estate)
- San Diego Business Journal 2015 Community Service Award
- “San Diego’s Top Influentials,” The Daily Transcript, January 30, 2015
- “Top Real Estate Deals Awards 2015,” San Diego Business Journal, March 2, 2015
- "Southern California's Top Rated Lawyers," Legal Leaders, 2012-2015
- San Diego County Bar Association Community Service Award, Outstanding Attorney of the Year, 2014
- Wiley Manuel Award for Excellence (Pro Bono)
- Sullivan, Casey. "Top Law Firm Leader," Daily Journal, March 14, 2012
- Los Angeles Daily Journal Law Firm Leader of the Year - 2012
- American Diabetes Association Father of the Year - 2010
- Malin Burnham’s Chairman’s Competitiveness Counsel
- Home Start – Past President
- Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies, University of San Diego – Mentor
- La Jolla Music Society – Past Board
- Lawyers Club
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties – Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Past-President
- National Conflict Resolution Center – Board Chair
- San Diego County Taxpayers Association – Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Past President
- San Diego League – Past President
- University Club – Board of Governors
- Urban Land Institute – Past Member of Advisory Board
- Youth Baseball and Basketball – Volunteer Coach
- JD, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- Institute of International and Comparative Law, Oxford University, Magdalen College
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, with honors
- Sarah de Crescenzo.“Procopio Ushers in Leadership Changes in New Year,” San Diego Business Journal, January 3, 2018.
- Kelley Gusich, "Carmel Valley Resident Tom Turner Concentrates on 'Empowering People, Transforming Cultures'," 92130 Magazine, October/November 2017.
- Sarah De Crescenzo, "Turner FInds Time is Right to Turn Over Leadership at Procopio," San Diego Business Journal, September 21, 2017.
- Rebecca Cohen. “California Firms Make Up 10 Percent of Second Hundred Shops,” The Recorder, May 25, 2017.
- “Greater Representation,” San Diego Lawyer, July 1, 2013.
- “My Role as Managing Partner,” San Diego Lawyer, March/April 2013.
- “McIntyre, Andrew. "Procopio aims to support San Diego startups," Daily Journal, July 5, 2012.
- “New Incubator Program is Launched By Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch,” SD Metro, July 2, 2012.
- Co-presenter. “Issues to be Considered When Investing in U.S. Real Estate,” USD Procopio International Business Summit, San Diego, CA, March 17, 2016.
- "About Procopio," LawExchange International Conference, San Diego, CA, September 12, 2014.
- Presented “The Ins and Outs of Tenant Representation and Commission Agreements to the Tenant Representation Practice Group” at CBRE, a market leader in San Diego commercial real estate, June 2013.
- “Effective Attraction and Retention of Lateral Lawyers,” LawExchange International Conference, Amsterdam, September 14, 2012.