Robert J. Brown counsels clients on corporate and securities, real estate and tax. Robert’s practice focuses on tax and transactional planning and consulting over a broad range of business matters. He is experienced in tax planning, financing and structuring for real estate, joint ventures, private placement, as well as negotiating land acquisitions and financing.
“Ours was a complex deal involving multiple states and 24 different properties that we could not have undertaken without exceptional outside counsel. Bob and his team were on-point every step of the way, delivering exceptional service in managing this large transaction and all of its intricacies. Their resourcefulness, combined with their experience, was essential in helping us execute this agreement swiftly and effectively.”
-David Michan, President of Strata Equity Group
- Closed a $720M deal for Strata Equity Group involving the acquisition of 24 institutional grade multifamily communities comprising 6,294 residential units in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
- Structured and negotiated land acquisition and financing for major casino development project, including formation of LLC and private placement of equity and debt securities, negotiation of senior and subordinated debt facilities and related equity incentive program and tax planning.
- Represented wireless technology corporation in negotiating and structuring issuance of Series A Preferred Stock to publicly-traded foreign corporation and creation of employee stock option plan.
- Structured project-level equity incentive program with use of Delaware “series” LLC for leading national developer of Class A multifamily properties.
- Serving as outside “general counsel” to prominent institutional multifamily housing and commercial property investment companies, including negotiation of limited partnership/LLC agreements, private placements, mortgage financing, tenants in common structuring and related tax planning.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- "2016 Best of the Bar," San Diego Business Journal, April 2016
“Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013-2015
- San Diego County Bar Association – Tax Section Chair
- The State Bar of California – Partnerships and Limited Liability Company Committee Past Member
- LL.M., University of San Diego School of Law, 1993
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 1992
- BA (Economics), University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- McIntyre, Andrew. “Procopio, Simpson Thacher Guide Strata-Blackstone Apt. Deal,” Law360, May 6, 2015.
Bob is a frequent speaker regarding recent developments in tax and business planning, and continuing legal education seminars on tax and business issues.