Robert utilizes his experience as a former federal prosecutor to effectively and efficiently defend corporate clients and individuals, in all contexts, who are working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, investigative demands for interviews, or facing criminal prosecution. In the business context, for example, Robert assists clients with matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions, fraud allegations, False Claims Act and qui tam actions, privacy and security breaches, OIG audits and the defense of professional licenses. Additionally, Robert regularly advises businesses on the implementation of internal compliance programs concerning the FCPA, data privacy and security, and anti-money laundering protections.
In the healthcare context, Robert advises clients on compliance with health care laws including fraud and abuse laws such as the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA), and other health care privacy laws. Additionally, Robert serves as litigation counsel on behalf of health systems, hospitals, physician groups and individual providers in business, fraud and abuse and administrative matters in both Federal and State court.
Prior to joining Procopio, Robert was an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets.
- "Top 5 Associates to Watch in California," The Daily Journal, 2015
- "Best of the Bar," San Diego Business Journal, 2015-2016
- Adjunct Professor – Federal Criminal Procedure and Advocacy
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice and Health Law Sections
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter – Father of the Year Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter – Active Alumnus
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Lawyer’s Club of San Diego – Human Trafficking Task Force
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association – Legal Ethics Committee
- San Diego Teen Court – Volunteer Judge
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – White Collar Crime Committee
- Seton Hall University School of Law – Alumni Mentor, former Adjunct Professor, and Alumni Council member
- JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
- AB, College of the Holy Cross
- "State AG Looks into ID Theft Charges Against Wells Fargo" Los Angeles Daily Journal, October 21, 2016.
- "Two Dozen Donors In Dumanis Mayoral Run Linked To Key Figure In Azano Case" KPBS Interview, September 19, 2016
- "Key Question May Never Be Asked Even If Dumanis Testifies In Azano Trial" KPBS Interview, August 22, 2016.
- "Volume Of Dumanis Donors Linked To Mexican Businessman Renews Questions About What DA Knew," KPBS Interview, August 16, 2016.
- "FBI Director Testifies Before House Panel Over Clinton Emails," KUSI News Television Interview, July 7, 2016.
- "U.S. Code 793 and Why FBI is Not Recommending Charges for Clinton," KUSI News Television Interview, July 5, 2016.
- “New Charges for Boston Marathon Bombers,” Fox 5, May 2, 2013.
- Araya, Kibkabe. “Firms deal with growing pressure of health data security,” Daily Journal, March 11, 2015.
- “FCPA – A Practical Perspective,” San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA, December 5, 2016.
- Panelist. “The Attorney-Client Privilege in the Global Context,” University of San Diego School of Law – Procopio International Tax Institute, San Diego, CA, October 21, 2016.
- Panelist. “Nightmares on Cyber Street: Recent Developments in Data Privacy Litigation and Cyber Insurance,” San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA, October 17, 2016.
- "Beware: The DOJ is Targeting You!" ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, April 19, 2016.
- Panelist. "Marijuana Law & Investing in San Diego 8.6," 6 Degrees San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 6, 2015.
- Panelist. "How to Prepare Your Team for an Internal Investigation – Scoping Your Action Plan to Avoid Common Pitfalls and Costly Mistakes," FCPA Compliance & Enforcement, San Diego, CA, July 29, 2015.
- Panelist. "Why What You Know About Protecting Privacy Might Be Wrong," The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology, May 6, 2015.
- “Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations” Renaissance Executive Forums, Temecula, CA, March 11, 2015.
- “Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations” Renaissance Executive Forums, Corona, CA, March 10, 2015.
- Co-Presenter. “California Privacy Breaches: Surviving Two Regulators,” ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, November 13, 2014.
- "Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations" Renaissance Executive Forums - CEOs, San Diego, CA, October 8, 2014.
- “Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations” Renaissance Executive Forums - CFOs, San Diego, CA, September 18, 2014.
- “Government Agents are Here to Speak with You,” ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, July 24, 2013.
- "Maintaining the Cone of Silence: How Far Do We Have to Go?" San Diego County Bar Association, June 20, 2016.
- "Proposed Ethic Rules: Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace," San Diego County Bar Association, June 8, 2015.
- “The most beneficent force… or the worst,” Daily Journal, March 5, 2015.
- “Smith & Wesson Holstered by the SEC Over FCPA Violations: Lessons Learned,” July 30, 2014.
- “Encryption – Don’t Leave Home (or Work) Without It,” July 29, 2014.
- Co-author. “Are You FCPA Compliant?” March 10, 2014.
- “Are You Ready for a Government Investigation?” November 11, 2013.
- Co-author. “Is Your Business HIPAA Compliant?” October 1, 2013.