12544 High Bluff Drive, Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92130
- Corporate and Securities
- Emerging Growth and Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Strategic Joint Ventures
Paul B. Johnson helps entrepreneurs and their investors get companies formed, funded and sold, including initial formation of corporations and LLCs, negotiation of seed, early and mid-stage equity financings and buy and sell-side mergers and acquisitions. Paul is also adept at venture capital investments, public and private securities offering and compliance and general business counseling. Paul has also counseled some of San Diego’s most successful companies in Securities and Exchange Commission compliance and general corporate governance.
Formations and Funding:
- Represented multiple venture capital firms, angels and strategic investors in early-stage investments.
- Formed “Bretelon, Inc.,” a company incubated by Procopio, and assisted with multiple rounds of financing and its ultimate sale to Sigma Designs.
- Represents Illumina, Inc. in its investments in start-up companies resident in its San Francisco accelerator, as well as in a variety of investments, including its spin-off and investment in Grail, Inc.
- Represented Planck Aerosystems, another Procopio incubated company, in its formation and investment from Parrot, the French drone and Bluetooth company.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
Represented multiple sellers, including:
- HealthLine Systems, Inc. in its sale to HealthStream, Inc.
- OpenEd in its sale to ACT, Inc.
- SigmaNet in its sale to ConvergeOne Solutions.
- CapitaTech in its sale to Spotlight Equity Partners.
- Cross-border US and Mexico manufacturer Karel in its sale to Celestica.
- Also represents certain acquirers, including Illumina, Inc. in strategic acquisitions such as Moleculo and Advanced Liquid Logic.
- 2016 and 2017 BNY Mellon M&A Advisor of the Year (sell-side legal representation in a sale to a public company)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Business Journal “Best of the Bar” – 2015
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2015-2017
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorney – 2012 (Corporate Transactional)
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Board
- San Diego Venture Group – PitchFest 2012-2014 Steering Committees
- Connect / University of San Diego Law School Law Clinic
- Board of Directors, YMCA Camps
- JD, BYU J. Reuben Clark Law School, cum laude, 1996 (Law Review Editor)
- MBA (International Finance), Brigham Young University, cum laude, 1996
- BS (International Finance), Brigham Young University, 1992
- Moran, Lyle. “Law firm helping launch startups,” The Daily Transcript, February 4, 2015.
- Pierce, Emmet. “Smooth Selling,” San Diego Business Journal, March 10, 2014.
- Co-author with Aaron Sokoloff, “How Your Company’s Valuation Can Be Impacted by Convertible Notes,” December 7, 2017.
- Co-author with Aaron Sokoloff, "When Investors Require Side Agreements," September 21, 2017.
- Co-author. “The Trouble with Strategic Financings,” June 16, 2015.