Paul B. Johnson’s practice focuses on securities offerings and compliance, startup companies, venture capital investments, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, and general business counseling.
Mr. Johnson has counseled some of San Diego's most successful public companies, including QUALCOMM, Invitrogen, Accredited Home Lenders, Barbeques Galore, Kintera, and Jack-in-the-Box in corporate governance, SEC and NASDAQ compliance matters, public and private securities offerings, and acquisitions. He has also guided a number of companies and investors through venture capital financings, including S5 Wireless, Senforce Technologies (acquired by Novell), Ascendent Telecommunications (acquired by RIM), Entropic, vSpring Capital, Enterprise Partners, Bay Partners, Kline Hawkes, and Sigma Ventures. Mr. Johnson has also assisted a number of public and privately-held companies in mergers and acquisitions, including the recent purchase by a San Diego public life science company of a private technology company, the sale of Senforce Technologies to Novell, the sale of a privately-held digital content delivery company to an internationally-recognized movie and television distributor, and the sale of a software company to Golden Gate Capital, as well as sales of San Diego-based companies to Texas Instruments, National Semiconductor, and Titan.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Johnson was a partner at DLA Piper, where he practiced corporate and securities law, first in Palo Alto and then for the last seven years at the firm’s San Diego office.
- JD, BYU J. Reuben Clark Law School, cum laude , 1996 (Law Review Editor)
- MBA (International Finance), Brigham Young University, cum laude, 1996
- BS (International Finance), Brigham Young University, 1992
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorney - 2012 (Corporate Transactional)
- 4S Ranch Little League – Pro Bono Legal Counsel
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Board
- San Diego Venture Group – PitchFest 2012 Steering Committee
Recent News Coverage
- Lund, Carlton. "Chairman's Kudos," Carlsbad Business Journal, August 1, 2012.
- “Three from Procopio Named ‘Top Attorneys’ by The Daily Transcript,” Procopio Press Release, July 26, 2012.
- “The Daily Transcript congratulates Top Attorneys 2012,” The Daily Transcript, July 25, 2012.
- “Procopio Moves to New Space in Del Mar Heights,” Procopio Press Release, July 10, 2012.
- “Procopio Further Expands with Addition of Silicon Valley Office,” Procopio Press Release, February 21, 2012.
- Jackson, Mandy. “Clinic Pairs Students with Start-Ups,” Daily Journal, May 21, 2010.
- Stevens-Huffman, Leslie. "Weighing exit strategies: Both initial public offerings and acquisitions have their advantages" Smart Business Network Inc., November 1, 2007.
- “Procopio Elects Four Attorneys to Partnership,” Procopio Press Release, January 12, 2007.
Recent Seminars and Speeches
- "The Current Economic Storm: Causes, Solutions, and Suggestions for Small Companies to Effectively Weather It," Private Equity and Venture Capital Trends in a Turbulent Economy: Leading Lawyers on Developing Strategic Alliances, Evaluating New Growth Opportunities, and Analyzing Short- and Long-Term Market Changes, Aspatore Books, June 2009.
- “CrowdFunding and the JOBS Act - Separating Hype from Reality,” San Diego Software Industries Council, San Diego, CA, September 26, 2012.
- “How to Get Started Right – Tackling Issues Facing Your Start-up Now,” SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, August 23, 2012.
- “The 411 on the JOBS Act – additional capital raising opportunities this bill provides for companies,” SDSI Chalk Talk: How to Raise Funds, Carlsbad, CA, June 26, 2012.
- “’Beginning With the End in Mind': Top 10 Mistakes You’re Likely Making Now That Could Blow Up Your Exit,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2012.
- “The Process of an Acquisition: Avoiding Common Early Mistakes that Can Derail an Exit (M&A and IPO),” Entrepreneur Forum: Procopio’s Winning Strategies for Start-Ups and Emerging Growth Companies, San Diego, CA, January 27, 2011.
- "The Process of an Acquisition: A View from the Seller's Side. LOI to Closing," October 28, 2010.