Paul is Co-chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions and Strategic Join Ventures practice group. His practice focuses on buy and sell-side mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, securities offerings and compliance, startup companies and general business counseling.
Paul has counseled some of San Diego's most successful technology companies, including Illumina, QUALCOMM and Life Technologies, in acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, SEC compliance and general corporate governance. He has also guided a number of smaller companies through important events in their life-cycle, including formation, venture capital and angel financings and sell-side mergers and acquisitions. Paul has also sold clients to strategic and private equity investors including Google, Motorola, National Semiconductor, Novell, SAIC, Technicolor, Texas Instruments, Titan and other household names. Paul also regularly represents venture capitalists and private equity firms in connection with their investments.
Prior to joining Procopio, Paul was a partner at DLA Piper, where he practiced corporate and securities law, first in Palo Alto and then for the last seven years at the firm’s San Diego office.
- JD, BYU J. Reuben Clark Law School, cum laude , 1996 (Law Review Editor)
- MBA (International Finance), Brigham Young University, cum laude, 1996
- BS (International Finance), Brigham Young University, 1992
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Business Journal Best of the Bar – 2015
- Southern California’s Top Rated Lawyers – 2015
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorney - 2012 (Corporate Transactional)
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Board
- San Diego Venture Group – PitchFest 2012-2014 Steering Committees
- Connect / University of San Diego Law School Law Clinic
- Board of Directors, YMCA Camps
Recent News Coverage
- "2015 Top Lawyers," San Diego Magazine, March 2015.
- Moran, Lyle. “Law firm helping launch startups,” The Daily Transcript, February 4, 2015.
- Pierce, Emmet. “Smooth Selling,” San Diego Business Journal, March 10, 2014.
- Lund, Carlton. "Chairman's Kudos," Carlsbad Business Journal, August 1, 2012.
- “Three from Procopio Named ‘Top Attorneys’ by The Daily Transcript,” Procopio Press Release, July 26, 2012.
- “The Daily Transcript congratulates Top Attorneys 2012,” The Daily Transcript, July 25, 2012.
- “Procopio Moves to New Space in Del Mar Heights,” Procopio Press Release, July 10, 2012.
- “Procopio Further Expands with Addition of Silicon Valley Office,” Procopio Press Release, February 21, 2012.
- “CrowdFunding and the JOBS Act - Separating Hype from Reality,” San Diego Software Industries Council, San Diego, CA, September 26, 2012.
- “How to Get Started Right – Tackling Issues Facing Your Start-up Now,” SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, August 23, 2012.
- “The 411 on the JOBS Act – additional capital raising opportunities this bill provides for companies,” SDSI Chalk Talk: How to Raise Funds, Carlsbad, CA, June 26, 2012.
- “’Beginning With the End in Mind': Top 10 Mistakes You’re Likely Making Now That Could Blow Up Your Exit,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2012.